Tired of thawing bloody rats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
yogie2
Tired of thawing bloody rats

Hey y'all,

I have read on most rat distributors websites that they use CO2 to euthanize their animals, however, an awful lot of blood still pours out of their face when thawed. My RodentPro rats anyways. Is this unavoidable? Have ya'll had this same experience, or have a testimonial for another source of rats?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
jcboas
I used CO2 for my rats also and they still bleed from the nose I don't know why but it happens.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
missandrea
Yeah, I gas my own rats and they still bleed. Not all of them, but maybe a third. I haven't really thought about it, but it may also depend on size of the rat. Or maybe the larger rats just have more blood and it's more noticeable.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
the f/t I use don't bleed once thawed (and no dried blood on their faces). I currently buy from a local supplier (rodents4u) and in the past bought from big cheese, never had bleeding issues with either place.

Perhaps it has to do with the type of CO2 used (canister vs dry ice) and or the concentration. Besides respriatory failure it can cause changes in blood pressure which may be causing the hemorrhage? I don't know enough about it to really know.
http://la.rsmjournals.com/content/39/2/137.full.pdf

Old 10-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
Durante
I usually stock up & pick up a few bags of rats from local reptile show. Saves me from dealing with live rats at home & saves me money, plus I get to check out everyone's critters with my son every other month. Recently I found one bag of rats where it looks like they actually cut the throat of the rats, besides making a mess I don't get the reasoning behind it. I wouldn't mind paying a more to save myself the mess & be a little more humane to the rats, if its a way the distributors are trying to bring down cost? If there is another reason behind it I'd love to hear about it or if anyone else experience this?

Old 10-31-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
~Just Curious~
Sorry to bump this week-old thread, but this is the first time I've ever heard of cutting the throats on rodents before. Did they really do that? It doesn't even seem practical....

Anyways I've noticed more bleeding when I thaw them rapidly in hot water compared to when I just let them thaw gradually by room temp. I always prefer a slow thaw if I have the time, it seems to me as if the quality's better. *shrug*

Old 10-31-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Durante
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Just Curious~ View Post
Sorry to bump this week-old thread, but this is the first time I've ever heard of cutting the throats on rodents before. Did they really do that? It doesn't even seem practical....

Anyways I've noticed more bleeding when I thaw them rapidly in hot water compared to when I just let them thaw gradually by room temp. I always prefer a slow thaw if I have the time, it seems to me as if the quality's better. *shrug*
Yea, that's what I didn't understand. It just didn't make much sense to me either. I tried to snap some quick photos before I walk out the door for work so you get a better idea of exactly what I mean. I definitely share the same experience thawing feeders out gradually, especially with these rats.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
~Just Curious~
That's different, I've never seen that before. Don't think I'd like it much myself to be honest...
I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it as well, perhaps you can ask the distributer if you see them at another show?
Thank you for taking the time to share those pictures!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Durante
no problem, I'm going to the Oaks show Nov. 10th & definitely plan on asking. I'll update once I hear the reasoning. I might be finding a different rodent provider too, based on the answer.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
~Just Curious~
I'm quite curious, so thank you very much for letting us know!
Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!