Lories - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Lucille
Lories

Lories are probably the most beautiful birds in the world. I have a Rainbow and a Duyvenbode lory, they are active and entertaining birds.
They are among the more difficult birds to keep, however. They are brush tongue birds, which are designed for drinking nectar. I have to make or buy nectar substitutes, sometimes I purchase a powder designed for lories, other times I will make a homemade fruit slurry with other vegetables and ingredients put in the blender along with the fruit.
Anyone else here keep lories?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
techgirl
i agree that lories are beautiful birds but unfortunately i do not have the pleasure of owning one. actually one of my friends who is an avian vet told me that i may be able to have lories because they are and oil bird instead of a dusty bird(i have severe allergies to dusty birds). as much as i would like to try having a bird again, i may wait several years until my daughter is older so this way i have more time to dedicate to having a bird and she can experience it as well. how hard are they to keep clean? i know because of the nectar that it makes the stools loose but i don't know how bad it can be.

Old 04-03-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
Lucille
I have mine in ventilated acrylic cages so although it requires more cleaning than my other birds, it is manageable.
A buying tip: Get your lory from a breeder, there are some lory lists that will point you in the direction of some quality breeders, pet stores charge ridiculous prices for these birds.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #4
ladyserpent7
can you post pics of yours lucille....id love to see them

Old 04-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
Lucille
Someday, I will join the real world and have a digital camera and learn how to use it....
WE NEED A TECHNOLOGY FOR DUMMIES FORUM!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
ladyserpent7
i agree completely.....i think im gonna have to jump on that bandwagon pretty soon as well...haha......i thought i was the only one.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 AM   #7
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
i know because of the nectar that it makes the stools loose but i don't know how bad it can be.
That's the only reason I've never worked with them. I agree though, they're awesome birds--especially the "rainbow lorikeet". That one is like a poster child for Australia's avian wildlife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Someday, I will join the real world and have a digital camera and learn how to use it....
WE NEED A TECHNOLOGY FOR DUMMIES FORUM!!!
Lucille, you could always just get a disposable camera, take it to Wal-mart (ughhh *shudders*) and have them put the pictures on a CD for you.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:38 AM   #8
ladyserpent7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage

Lucille, you could always just get a disposable camera, take it to Wal-mart (ughhh *shudders*) and have them put the pictures on a CD for you.

haha.......thats what i do...except i go to sav-on.......but unfortunately..in time.....thats probably gonna be more expensive than just getting one....and alot of the pictures come out really bad.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:27 AM   #9
Cat_72
Lucille, we have a Kodak Easyshare digi cam, and it's soooo easy, you just set it on its "dock", press one button, and the pictures are magically on your computer, lol. Of course there's lots of "extra" buttons that I've learned to use over time, but for basic picture taking, there's nothing easier. I took more pictures in the first year we had it than I think I did in the 10 years previous.

Lories are indeed beautiful birds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!