Question About Offspring of These Pairings...? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
HerpAddict
Question Question About Offspring of These Pairings...?

Hi,

I currently have two female leos, one has a little bit (and I mean little!!) of jungle influence, and the other has slightly less spots than a normal. The one with less spots has a bit of lavender on her torso in patches, and her tail looks a bit purple.

Now, I was wondering about genetics, if I breed a jungle male to both of these, will the offspring be jungles? Or if I breed pastels to them both, will there be pastels?

I can post pics of you want. I was just wondering if it was worth getting anything beyond a normal to breed to these two. Also, what is a great breeding weight for females?

Thanks a lot for any and all help!!

Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
aliceinwl
For breeding weights, I use 50 grams or 18 months. I've got a lot of females produced by my originals and a lot of my original leos who never reach 50 so I want to make sure that they've grown all they can before they're bred. It's kind of hard to know how a jungle cross will come out. Different lines of jungles seem to behave differently. I've bred jungles to normals and hatched out jungles. Most of the babies I've produced from these crosses are at least aberrent.

-Alice

Old 06-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
DiabloBoa
if you got a hypo male you would at least get hypos from that breeding. not that there is any thing wrong with normals but at least you could work some genetics in your animals that would show in the first babies otherwise you could make hets off your (jungle albino?)
as far as wieght goes i wouldnt breed mine till 50 grams as well.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
HerpAddict
My jungle is not albino, and I don't think either of them are het for it. I'm not really trying to get into breeding morphs, that's what my cresteds plan is, but not for leos.

I just didn't know if jungle or hypo or pastel or tang were dominant traits that if breed to practically normal leos would show up in the first generation offspring.

Thanks again,

Old 06-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #5
Chris@TSE
Probably be easier to answer if you can provide photos of these animals....

Old 06-07-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
HerpAddict
These pics are when I first got them in Mid-April. The birth dates on the containers are wrong, please ignore them. At the time, these were both weighing in at about 25g. The first is the one that is supposed to have a little bit of jungle in her, and the second is said to have a bit of Hypo-Tang. I don't really think they look like these morphs at all.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2005, 12:19 PM   #7
A_Kendergirl
It's hard to say, but think the first is definitly a jungle...it looks like it might even be a stripe (or pretty close).

The second one looks maybe reduced pattern high yellow to me. It might be tang, but not hypo.

Let's see what others think!

Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
The 1st does look jungleish and the 2nd maybe a tang and at the age tha pics were taken in April at 25grams she may have hypoed some. Does she still have that many spots? Can you get new pics?

Id wait until next spring when they are adults of good weight, get some good pics then and see what to pair them up with. But I if I had to buy a juvie now to raise up Id go with a stripe for #1 and a SHTCT for #2 just in case #1 develops more of a stipe pattern and she does haev the stripe on the tail and in case #2 goes hypo.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
magick-bears
I also agree that the first looks like a Jungle borderline Stripe. If it was me I would breed here to a nice Bold Stripe or Rainbow male. The second one looks to be a Tang. But as Wendy said it is very possable that it could be a Hypo Tang would have to see what she looks like when she is older. Personally I would breed her with a nice Tangerine HTCT male or. The only reason for that is because I still like my Leos with some spots. But if you don't like the spots then I would suggest a SHTCT.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:57 PM   #10
HerpAddict
More Pics

I took some quick photos outside today, here they are:

Kali (jungle influence, possible stripe)

Kali's Tail Left Side

Kali's Tail Right Side

Lolita (tang influence)

Lolita's Tail

I would be looking to buy a male to grow up. I would only be looking to buy a single male to breed to both of them (1.2). I am not really looking to get heavy into morphs, just thought that I would see what you guys thought would be the best male to buy for these ladies.

On a bit of a side note, I really like giants, but was wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to breed one to these ladies. I wasn't sure if a giant would be too domineering over them, or if it would cause any problems with the babies. Would they produce giants if I bred them to a giant male? Or hets? Sorry I'm so bad with the genetics! I ask because I think the giants are awesome, and would love to own one!

Thanks for all the help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!