My New Friend.......Dial up HELL! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Thumbs up My New Friend.......Dial up HELL!

This will take two posts. Sorry for that
I am a surveyor and am currently building a subdivision in Anthony Tx. and there has been this Chihuahuan Burrowing owl that has adopted a piece of water line as his new home. He has run off many workers already. HA HA

I had a trick though, So I have been giving Him/Her a rat fuzzy every other day. Today I brought My camera, cuz I knew some would not believe how close I can get to this thing, and three fuzzies for some pics.
These are from about 10-12 feet. The first one is no zoom..........

Then i went to the other side and got within 5-7 feet of Him/Her for these shots. I even reached out and plopped the other two pups in front if him/her, and he/she looked the other way, was all the reaction I got. Again, first one no zoom..........

Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Part 2 of story............

Hey, what's up there?.........

I got his attention when I tried to get closer. I slid a foot closer, her hopped a foot backwards. I guess that's My limit.

Well, hope you enjoyed My work experience. I know I have. Too bad He will ultimately lose his newly established residence, at least it is not nesting at the time. I have a pretty cool job at times.

Rick

Old 02-23-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Cat_72
Those are amazing pictures, Richard!! Few people get to see a beautiful bird like that up close!

The most exotic animals I see at my workplace are the mice that run around the plant, lol....the guys in the tool room have taken to feeding one (I think it's a whole family appearing at different times, heh) and it's so fat it can barely waddle away....

Old 02-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
PaulSage
Richard!! Those pics are definitely National Geographic material. That's awesome! I can't believe you bring him food. lol :eatpointe

Old 02-24-2006, 06:54 AM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks guys. I like birds of prey above all others. Just something about raptors that entice Me into getting close if I can. I don't know about the national Geographic part though. LOL They aren't that good.
And i probably am wrong to be feeding it. It goes against all My training. I just feel bad cuz we wiped out all of His hunting grounds do to "progress" that can't be stopped. (this time) Last year though, during the migratory season, I put a stop to the building cuz of Killdear nesting on the ground. I made a lot of people angry, and almost lost My job. LOL (I'm such a trouble maker.) I'd do it again though. They were here first.

Thanks for the nice replies.

Rick

Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
hhmoore
great shots, Rick - thanks for sending me the link

Old 02-25-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
ladyserpent7
WOW richard..those are amazing pictures...and if you look at it long enough, its like its eyes hypnotize you. ..whoa...haha...its so beautiful and the print and pattern on its feathers is gorgeous..animals and nature is truly the greatest gift from god...wow...

Old 02-25-2006, 08:27 AM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Well, My friend left and went somewhere else. They took his pipe away so He left.

And thanks for the comments Rana. I like nature to, and have spent a good portion of My life out in the field just observing it. For Me, it is tranquility.
Got more bird pics here..... Birds If you are interested in looking.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!