Info TexHiss Jimmy Horton - Poor Animal Condition, Bad Shipping Practices - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Kuamata
Exclamation TexHiss Jimmy Horton - Poor Animal Condition, Bad Shipping Practices

Hello, I'm here to share my experience with a breeder in Arlington, TX that goes under the business name TexHiss. His name is Jimmy Horton.

Prior to purchasing, I looked here, on the BOI, and saw good things about this breeder. I learned, the hard way, to do research on anybody you're considering buying from. That being said, I decided to continue with purchasing a red tail boa from him.

The boa was advertised as a male Anery 66% het for snow and albino, Kahl line. The picture used showed a healthy boa, seemingly a baby. The original ad, I do not have a screen shot of, as he immediately removed all his ads after I agreed to purchase the snake labeled 'Anery male #10'. He did relist the exact ad, today, just minus the one I bought. I do have a screen shot of that so you can at least get an idea of how he was listed.

After agreeing and getting the paypal info, I immediately paid price and shipping up front and scheduled for him to be sent out on Wednesday, 9/30, to arrive Thursday, 10/1(today). I even sent Jimmy a reminder like he had requested.

The boa arrived a little later than expected(most of my shipments, reptile wise, arrive in the morning and not later), but that was fine. I was about to leave for errands when the Fedex truck conveniently pulled up behind me for the delivery. I excitedly waited for the driver to pull my package from his truck. I was handed a regular brown box... Not your standard white box with red lettering that made it clear there was an animal inside and to hold it upright, but a plain brown box with just the shipping labels... not even any writing that would warn someone there is a living animal inside the box and to handle it with care...

I thanked the fellow and sat back in my car, worried about the snake, as a plain brown box was all too reminiscent of when I had a DOA from another 'breeder' that I stupidly did no research on. I cut it open to reveal a mass of shredded newspaper... no styrofoam.. no heat pack, with temperatures ranging from 50-60F... I dug through the shredded paper to find a white sock with the end taped up. In the video you can hear my aggravation at the cheap shipping job,"A sock?... Really?..." I untaped the sock and pulled out the boa, sitting with a dry paper towel.

The boa was wrinkly, skin pinched up, obviously dehydrated, and the spine and ribs could be visibly seen. He was limp, but still alive. Very cold... I immediately went to warm him up and offer him some water, texting Jimmy of the condition he came in while I walked, and said I'd have to ask around before I had an opinion, but I was fairly certain that a snake should not go from healthy to malnourished in one night...

In the process of getting the snake all suited up and cozy, he tried to call me. Out of frustration, knowing myself, and being too preoccupied with the little scaley, I ignored the call. As you can see in my text I sent to him, I'm usually more compliant on the phone and I wasn't going to be talked out of this. Either I'm compliant or I'm not all that nice... it really depends on where you catch me, I'm socially awkward and suffer anxiety, but that's not the point..

At any rate, I posted elsewhere to ask some opinions on the situation. I got a couple and relayed them back to him, at which point he got upset and started to argue with me. He claimed that nothing was wrong with the snake because he doesn't 'powerfeed', but... I'm fairly certain this isn't a result of not powerfeeding, I don't powerfeed, either, and my other boa is filled in, not boney, and has nice, sleek skin and scales... No wrinkles or pinching up.

Anywho, here's screens of our conversation, the box, inside the box, the boa, the ad, the original picture used for 'Anery male #10', and a video. Decide for yourselves, I just feel others have a right to know. Thanks.

The reposted ad:

The image used for the boa purchased:

Proof of purchase:

The shipping:

Old 10-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
Kuamata
The boa:

(The image below is after he'd been on a heat mat, thermostat controlled, for half an hour and given water.)

The conversation:

Old 10-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #3
Kuamata

Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Helenthereef
[quote=Kuamata;1855939]

The tail in the picture the seller posted before sale also looks flat and thin, as shown in your newly unpacked photos. I think there is no question that this boas is underweight, and was so before it was sent to you

Old 10-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
Kuamata
[quote=Helenthereef;1855951]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuamata View Post

The tail in the picture the seller posted before sale also looks flat and thin, as shown in your newly unpacked photos. I think there is no question that this boas is underweight, and was so before it was sent to you
Hmmm.. I'm looking at the tail and not seeing it, but I'll give you benefit of the doubt on that, but you don't see any wrinkled skin that would suggest dehydration, and no bones showing.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
hypocamaro
He offered your money back. Ship it back. Get your money back and be done with it. Great seller!!

People are people... we all make mistakes... he is willing to make this right.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
Kuamata
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocamaro View Post
He offered your money back. Ship it back. Get your money back and be done with it. Great seller!!

People are people... we all make mistakes... he is willing to make this right.
I've never shipped a live animal. In these temperatures, with my inexperience, and the condition he came to me in, that would be a death sentence... this isn't about money, this is about mistreating animals. I'm NOT ok with it, and I'm NOT going to do that to the boa.

I only posted this so people know that this is what they'll get. Cheap shipping, and an animal that will need some TLC.

The community I've gone to for help is confident he will be ok in a few feedings with some good husbandry and hydration.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
Helenthereef
[quote=Kuamata;1855953]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

Hmmm.. I'm looking at the tail and not seeing it, but I'll give you benefit of the doubt on that, but you don't see any wrinkled skin that would suggest dehydration, and no bones showing.
Well, I'll bow to those with more experience with Red Tails, it's not my species, but doesn't the body here (circled in orange) look flattened and thin to you? Would this be considered normal in a 4 month old snake that had supposedly had 6 meals?

I'm genuinely asking - as I said, not my species.....
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Kuamata
Not to me, no. He looks healthy and muscular in that picture, as boas should be. Nice and filled in. As far as age, he didn't offer a hatch date, so I really have no clue how old he is.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
hypocamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuamata View Post
I've never shipped a live animal. In these temperatures, with my inexperience, and the condition he came to me in, that would be a death sentence... this isn't about money, this is about mistreating animals. I'm NOT ok with it, and I'm NOT going to do that to the boa.

I only posted this so people know that this is what they'll get. Cheap shipping, and an animal that will need some TLC.

The community I've gone to for help is confident he will be ok in a few feedings with some good husbandry and hydration.
Shipping looks fine. The snake was in a bag or "sock" (same thing) and it got to you alive. The weather to you did not need an insulated box or heat pack this time of year. He had plenty of paper in the box to ensure the snake didnt "rattle" around.

I do agree that the snake is dehydrated and thin. It could have been an honest over look on his part. He should have noticed it and not shipped it.

The Seller did what he could to make it right.

He offered your money back. He seems like a stand up dude to me.

Look at all the post of bad guy threads here and it usually is a scam with money lost.

I would avoid buyers like you.

We are dealing with living breathing animals. Very unpredictable. NO ONE can explain why sometimes Healthy 6 year old specimens just up and die. Anyone who has been doing this long enough has had an animal die with no apparent reason and nothing deemed terminal on necropsy reports.

For the same reason we dont know why 2 year old kids get cancer and die. Life is always unpredictable. Dealing with animals is always a gamble. I hope the snake does well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa, breeder, texas