Bad Guy Off the ark exotic pets - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:56 PM   #11
KelliH
I don't think mites originate from wild caught snakes. I think it's more of a snakes in captivity issue.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
I don't think mites originate from wild caught snakes. I think it's more of a snakes in captivity issue.
Good point! The guy was probably thinking of ticks.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
jglass38
Am I seeing things? Is everyone just blowing off receiving a snake with mites as "something that happens"? Mites just don't happen. Sending someone a snake with mites is inexcusable. Nevermind the fact that the snakes were in a freakin tube sock.

As far as Nix, I personally would NEVER recommend homebrew to anyone who doesn't have the experience to use it properly. It is NOT tested for use on reptiles and in the wrong hand s can be lethal. Have I used homebrew? Yes. Years ago I was sent animals with mites and didn't have anything on hand. I did what I had to. Now I always have a can of Provent A Mite in my place, just in case I need it. PAM is the only mite remedy approved for use with reptiles. It's also the only one that I would recommend to somebody who has no idea what they are doing.

I've personally heard more bad about Off the Ark than good so I wouldn't even consider a purchase from them.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
evilcowboy420
Thats what I thought that getting a snake with mites on it that was suppose to be captive bred is a no no. Now I would never return a snake that has mites simply because I feel that it would be going back into a bad situation.

The homebrew stuff was something I used because there aren't many pet stores open at 12 midnight. The only place was a grocery store so I grabbed what I could. I don't have a car so I had to bike about 5 miles to get it which is what may have irritated me more than most people.

The main thing that ticked me off about the whole thing was having an animal with a parasite come into my house. If anyone would say they wouldn't be upset at receiving a package containing mites then they are either lying or they simply don't care. I personally believe if a large corporation like Bigappleherp can send a clean animal there is NO excuse for a private collector to not have clean animals. Mites can kill a snake and for it to be on a neonate is appalling and it can kill them faster. I guess I would have understood it more if it had been a WC adult and even then it is not excusable not to treat your snakes before shipping them. The guy I talked to said he had the mite meds at the store. Is it too much to ask for him to actually use the freakin product. Oh yeah Brian from the store also told me if I wanted to I could purchase the mite stuff and they sell it there. Basically the way it looked to me was here is a unclean snake we shipped to you for X number of dollars now after you discover the mites have spread through your collection then pay us more money to get the meds to eradicate them. This is a store that looks at it more as Quantity over Quality. Maybe for the people who says its not a big deal can go to McDonald's and order a burger with some hair on it and then it be up to them to detect and remove the hair. After all its not that big of a deal right?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #15
SSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather82 View Post
I thought everyone knew not to use the chemical crap you buy at Wal-Mart to treat your reptiles.
Huh, that's what I get for thinking I guess.

Actually i thought the same until i took a bottle of provent a mite to wal-mart and low and behold they sell the same product everything is identical!It is sold as a lice killer!Made by EQUATE

Old 09-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Actually i thought the same until i took a bottle of provent a mite to wal-mart and low and behold they sell the same product everything is identical!It is sold as a lice killer!Made by EQUATE
This is completely false. Provent A Mite is a patented formulation so it would be impossible for Equate to be the seem. Here is a thread which addresses this. Read or don't, but understand they are NOT the same thing.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=71721

Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #17
jglass38
Seem = Same.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #18
SSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38 View Post
This is completely false. Provent A Mite is a patented formulation so it would be impossible for Equate to be the seem. Here is a thread which addresses this. Read or don't, but understand they are NOT the same thing.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=71721

Well you can do the same thing i did compare the chemicals they are the same no diff.Look for yourself

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #19
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Well you can do the same thing i did compare the chemicals they are the same no diff.Look for yourself
Read the thread and learn something you clearly don't know.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
SSmith
Read your article see your point but it does match chemical for chemical and works just as good as PAM so to each their own everyone i know has used it for the last couple years and no problems.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!