Help, Green Anoles refuse to eat. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
A_Spinosaurus
Exclamation Help, Green Anoles refuse to eat.

I Have adult male and female Green Anoles that live with a male Long tailed Lizard(also adult), all three were adopted and introduced into the enclosure at the same time and have shown no signs of aggression.
And yes, I Idiotically bought them from Petsmart and I know better now.

I have had them for a month now. The female anole never had a good appetite from the start and would only eat one food item every other day while the two boys would eat about 2-3 every other day with good appetites and feeding response. But a few weeks ago the female refused to eat. After an entire week of refusing to eat, she looked really thin, so I had to force- feed her by putting a cricket in her mouth and letting her “chew” and swallow. I did this for an entire week, 2-3 dusted crickets every other day, until she was strong and healthy again. Note that during these two weeks the two boys were both healthy and eating like champs and she still wouldn’t eat on her own during, or after. Beginning the following week, the male has refused to eat. I don’t want to force feed him, and cause any more problems, but I am paranoid about their health. I have tried repti-boost, probiotic, worm guard, smaller crickets, different bugs, and baby food(peach and chicken flavors). But none of them have helped their appetite come back. They are all pooping regularly and it isn’t runny or odd looking. The two boys are still relatively energetic, but the girl seems lethargic but definitely changes places during the day. The female is green all the time, and the male is only green when he’s sleeping. The female relatively trusts me and the long tailed boy trusts me 100%, but the male anole recently stopped trusting me even though he had no problem with me whatsoever. Now whenever I clean the enclosure he runs and hides. I honestly don’t understand what happened to cause this skittish behavior. The other two are pretty chill when I am doing things in or around the enclosure and even walk near me, but the male anole will not have it. The spray bottle definitely doesn’t scare the Anoles, but it frightens the long tailed lizard to death; so I remove the long tailed lizard when I spray the enclosure and then return him when I’m done spraying. I only handle my Anoles when necessary, so they are not afraid of hands.

They are in a 16x16x40in (LxWxH in.)glass enclosure. They have a 75 watt ceramic heater, 5.0 uvb bulb, vines, 4 fake plants, 2 live plants, 2 hammocks, waterfall, dripper, 2 thermometers, hygrometer, and water dish. Some plants provide the needed visual barriers. It is about 90-95 at the very top, 95-80 in the middle, and 80-75 at the very bottom. I use a mister to provide water, and a waterfall to provide humidity at 60-75 percent. The ventilation is on the ceiling. I feed them with medium crickets and the occasional waxworm and mealworm, dusted once a week with a multivitamin supplement and twice a week with calcium. Due to my terrarium being so big, it is difficult for them to successfully hunt down their prey and they usually give up. So what I do is break the crickets jumping legs, dust them, and put them in a dish the can’t escape from in the open where they just take what they want. The Anoles have found this the most enjoyable way while the long tailed lizard prefers to eat from tongs.

Can anyone show me what I’m doing wrong?
Is there something I’m missing?
Advice?
If anyone can help that would be appreciated, thank you.

I’m terribly sorry for the length of this post, but I know those of you who intend to help me need to know all the details.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #2
Beyond GenetiX
Moved post to the discussion forum.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!