Disruptive posting in a classified ad - understanding (and avoiding) the infraction - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
hhmoore
Disruptive posting in a classified ad - understanding (and avoiding) the infraction

The classifieds on this site are open to posts, primarily to allow potential buyers and sellers to interact toward a transaction. A side benefit to this is that members can post a link to a relevant BOI thread, or point out a misrepresentation.
It is, however, a double edged sword; and many of the posts are considered disruptive...even if they are not intended to be. Let's take a look at some of the types of posts, and why they don't belong.

- pricing complaints
People can put whatever price tag they want on their animals/products. For some reason, people like to post rude or sarcastic comments whether they think the price is too high, or too low. Reality check - your opinion doesn't matter in this case. If the price is too high, nobody will buy it; this, in turn, will either make him decide to keep it unless he gets his price, or lower the price in order to make it more attractive to buyers. If the price is too low, people will either be suspicious or they will buy it quickly. If you feel the need to criticize the price - do it privately. (posting offers isn't against the rules...but I think most sellers prefer to deal with that stuff via PM or email.)

- advertising in another person's ad
This is actually a separate issue, and a different infraction; BUT don't jump into a person's ad trying to sell your own stuff to other members, or direct people to other places to buy

- complaints about a transaction with the seller
This is a different issue, as well - these types of posts belong on the BOI. If you have already started a BOI thread, or there is an existing one that you want to point out; you can post a link to it in the sellers ad(s). What you cannot do is go into details or try to address it with the seller in the classifieds.
(Positive feedback about a seller belongs on the BOI, too; but we are fairly tolerant of these posts popping up in the classifieds, as long as it is just a few posts here and there)

- drawing attention to a misrepresented animal/product
This one is tough. We do allow misrepresentations to be pointed out in the classifieds...but we do not allow continued debate or harassment. It doesn't matter whether you think the animal is not fit for sale, or just mislabeled - be careful with your approach. A constructive post will be better tolerated; both by the advertiser, and the moderation team - so be respectful/professional in your statements/questions. Also, look before you leap. If two or more people have already posted what you were going to point out - let it go. Once the information is there, potential buyers can decide for themselves...or will at least recognize the need for investigation/questioning. If the seller ignores or disputes your (or another person's) statement, think twice about continuing. Realistically, you probably aren't going to convince them; and the classifieds are just not the place to debate. It isn't that we don't understand why this information is important...I can be in total agreement with what you are saying, with the point you are trying to prove; but if you cross the line, I'm still going to give you an infraction.

- interpersonal conflict
We get that sometimes you may dislike, or have issues with, another member. Dragging that grudge into the classifieds isn't going to end well. Dirty laundry and squabbles from other sites have no place in the ads. Odds are, if you have this kind of situation with a seller - there is no potential transaction (whether you wouldn't buy from him, or he wouldn't sell to you)...so don't post in the ad. Sometimes, you may feel that you have valuable information that would be important to a prospective buyer. If that is the case, keep it constructive...but anticipate that your comment(s) will not be well received, and be prepared to let it go.

- sideline conversations
This occurs in two main forms in the classifieds: seller and another member engaging in personal conversation that doesn't relate to transaction at hand, or two members interacting without the seller.

One piece of advice:
* If a moderator intervenes in a thread - heed the comment. Disregarding the moderator will get you an infraction, or banned......or both.

I've probably forgotten a few things - I've been called away a few times while composing this post.

*Edited to add:
Suspected scams. This is similar in theory/application to what I said about misrepresentations. We understand the value of such information to potential purchasers...but be careful about applying that label without fairly solid evidence. If you find that images used are "stolen", posting a comparison of the image used and the original (along with a link to where the original is found) in the ad is acceptable. That doesn't "prove" the ad is a scam; but it will be important to most people looking at the ad. If you simply suspect a scam, it is probably better to report the post - realizing that if the moderation team cannot find sufficient evidence of rule violations, it will likely remain. (Please remember, we do not act as judge or jury in BOI matters, so if somebody doesn't fulfill their end of a deal to your satisfaction, we aren't going to ban them to appease you.)
If a person or two has already posted such suspicions, unless you have something solid to add, it is best to leave it alone. Piling in with your two cents worth is a form of disruptive posting.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #2
hhmoore
Here's a post Rich (WebSlave) made in one of the other discussions of this topic:
Pointing out verifiable errors in the ad will be OK. Or if someone has a history on the BOI that people need to be aware of. If the identity of the person posting the ad is not really what is claimed in their profile needs to be drawn to the attention of interested viewers as well. Misidentifications of the animals or merchandise can be queried within the thread, as this is proper for a legitimate transaction to take place. But a PROFESSIONAL attitude is requested. If your opinion(s) appear to be unwelcome, don't belabor the point you are trying to make.

Opinions about pricing, personal issues, or anything that is not directly related to the animals, merchandise, or services being offered should be done via PM or just kept to yourself. Competitors posting competing ads within the threads of their competition will be dimly viewed as well. Please just start your own threads if you want to advertise on this site.

This is not a complete list, of course, as there will not be any absolute black and white to this kind of issue. The purpose of the classifieds section is to help buyers and sellers meet each other and come to a satisfactory conclusion with a LEGITIMATE transaction. Everything posted as a reply within a classified thread should be oriented in that direction. If it appears to a noninvolved third party that the pending transaction is NOT legitimate, then a suitable warning can be made within the thread, but in a PROFESSIONAL manner, please. Just make certain that all of YOUR ducks are in a row before making such an accusation, however, as an illegitimate claim could have YOU appearing to be the one attempting to disrupt a sale for malicious reasons.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...7&postcount=13

Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
hhmoore
As I have said to several of you - it isn't that we don't understand the point you are trying to make, or why you are trying to make it....nor is it that we are siding with the other person; it's just that your posts are crossing a line.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
Great idea for a thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
As I have said to several of you - it isn't that we don't understand the point you are trying to make, or why you are trying to make it....nor is it that we are siding with the other person; it's just that your posts are crossing a line.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
WebSlave
And I would like to impress a point about this. If this continues to be a problem, the most efficient way that I can end this additional workload on my moderators is to simply disable ALL replies to classified ads on this site.

It's either that or step up the penalty for engaging in this sort of thing.. Like something along the lines of an immediate 30 day ban for members engaging in this sort of disruption.....

So quit giving my mods more work to do, please.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
mxracer4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
And I would like to impress a point about this. If this continues to be a problem, the most efficient way that I can end this additional workload on my moderators is to simply disable ALL replies to classified ads on this site.

It's either that or step up the penalty for engaging in this sort of thing.. Like something along the lines of an immediate 30 day ban for members engaging in this sort of disruption.....

So quit giving my mods more work to do, please.
More discussions need to go to pm, period. Just my opinion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!