Questions about breeding? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Yaymus
Questions about breeding?

So I aquired a couple of crested geckos through a trade for a snake, weird I know, and the guy said that they had been going at it for a while. I got them home and they never did anything. Well last night I found 2 eggs. Did a little research and placed them in two little containers with moist peat moss. I did not turn them over, placed a dot on the top too. First, does it sound like I'm doing everything right? Should I be expecting more? Do I need to give her extra food, etc? And anything else? Thanks J

Old 07-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
bad-one
You should be expecting more clutches every 25-35 days of 2 eggs. If you leave the female with the male you're going to keep getting eggs.

If you seperate her, she will lay until she is done since female cresteds retain sperm.

I'm doing my first breeding right now and I'd suggest putting a small little bowl of pure calcium dust in the for the female. Giving her crickets once or twice a week that are dusted will help. You want to make sure she doesn't get low on calcium.

Also you should put a "laying box" in with your girl so she has a place to go.

Sounds like your doing good so far

Old 07-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Yaymus
Hey thanks, will she really go and eat the dust if I put some in there? Is it recomended to leave her with the male or should I just leave her by herself? Thanks Again

Old 07-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
bad-one
From the experience of friends and research she should.

I prefer dusting crickets with something like mineral or a calcium since that will do the same job as well and you'll know for sure she is getting extra minerals that way.

If the female is doing fine you can leave her with the male. Just know you'll keep getting eggs, and some more even after seperation.

Do you know how to check their calcium?

Here's some good reading:
http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm

Old 07-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Yaymus
How do you get her to open her mouth? I really don't want to hurt her.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
bad-one
There are two ways. One is to hold her, slowly and gently stroking along the side of her mouth, and she may open it slowly and try to bite you (which doesn't hurt). Some times this works for me, sometimes it doesn't, try both sides.

The other is to restrain them ( as gentle as possible of course) and use something like a credit card to carefully open their mouths and get a peek at those calcium sacs. Typically they will struggle since they don't like being held still.

Also, there are signs that can tip you off about calcium deficiency such as soft bones and kinking in the tail that developes over time. Eggs that are undercalcified can be layed as well and the female will be at a higher risk of becoming eggbound.

As long as they are well fed however should be fine so don't worry too much. CGD with calcium/ mineral dusted crickets once or twice a week while she is laying should do the trick.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
bad-one
Laying/ Breeding*

Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Yaymus
Thanks again so much for the help Brittany!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
bad-one
No problem, good luck on hatching some good looking cresties!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!