Boa Missing an Eye (Advice Wanted) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
Sharkception
Question Boa Missing an Eye (Advice Wanted)

Thinking about picking up a sunglow boa that was born missing an eye to keep strictly as a pet. Im wondering if she will need any kind of special care to keep her missing eye healthy or if sheds might be effected. She is otherwise doing fantastic and feeding perfectly. I've seen some one eyed snakes before but their missing eye is usually healed over whereas with this girl its as if the socket is just empty. Here is a picture:

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #2
Helenthereef
Picture did not come out

Old 11-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
Sharkception

Old 11-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
Sharkception
Hmm cant seem to figure this out lol. Heres the link: https://imgur.com/a/9SAJQXV

Old 11-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Here it is: You have to use the "Manage Attachments" button below the Post message, and then, once your image is selected, you have to make sure you click "Upload"
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Well, I've never seen anything like that before.
I did have a snake with a missing eye, but, as you said, his eye was healed shut, and he just shed the skin over it as normal (it left a scale-less skin patch in his shed).

How old is this snake? Was it born like this or is it a recent injury or disease loss? I'm assuming that if it is more than a few months old it has already shed successfully, (and it's not like retained eye-caps would be a problem)

Old 11-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Sharkception
Shes about 2 feet long so just a few months old. The owner said he has had no issues with her but I want to make sure he's not just trying to offload a burden onto someone else. Owner says she was born like this and some research told me kahl albinos are prone to eye deformities. Im assuming the eye is just under developed and not missing entirely hence why there's still a socket.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
bcr229
Typically a snake like this would be given away as a pet to a good home, with a first right-of-refusal agreement in place so you couldn't simply flip it (yes, unethical people will do that). If you are worried about the snake having issues with eating then ask for a video of it's next feeding. Usually one-eyed snakes or even blind snakes don't have any other problems though.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Helenthereef
Well, I'm no expert on genetic deformities, but that sounds right to me, and the socket looks clean and has no scars, so I'd bet she's shed successfully at least once.

One-eyed snakes are fine for pets, best not to pass genetic problems on by breeding from them of course. Only problem I ever had with my cyclops was that he was a bit jumpy if approached on his blind slide, so I'd always make sure I put my hand, or food, where he could see it.

So, I'd say go for it - give a disadvantaged animal a good home!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
there's a chance the eye tissue may go bad and need to be removed later but it might stay like that, hard to say, you might want to check with a vet.
I have a one eyed sunglow pet only boa, however the spot where her eye should be is just scales. She doesn't have any issues but does lean her head to the side (good eye up) sometimes and has missed quite a few strikes (f/t food) but otherwise, normal boa stuff.
It's not uncommon for eye issues in kahl line but it was mostly in the earlier breeding years (possibly from all the inbreeding being done).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa constrictor red tail