Turbo and the superworm - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #1
myrogirl
Turbo and the superworm

I was going to post pics, but they didnt turn out.

I bought some superworms. Decided to give one to Turbo. So he chases it around for a minute, then FINALLY grabs it. He grabs its head, chomps it, then spits it out and looks at it like: wth is THAT? He watches it die, and Im like, these things were $3 you better eat that lol Then he grabs it and eats it. So I put in the second one, and he just ate that one. But that was funny. He didnt touch that first one until it had completely stopped moving LOL

Weirdo

Virginia

Old 06-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
ahhh thats cute, probably took him a minute to decide it was a good taste and he wanted more lol

Old 06-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
leaftail
LOL, virginia. actually, I have a girl who eats like that every time. She does a quick surprise attack-and-disable, then lets go and jumps back, watches the prey closely to make sure its done for, then moves in for the feed I think your lil leo displayed a cool instinctive survival move indicated for an unknown prey item

Old 06-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #4
Borewyrm
That does sound like an inate hunting instinct, unlike the loony one I had that would grab crickets and carry them to the water dish. He would then drop them in and go about his buisness. He would then go back and eat them later. Well sometimes at least. Sometimes I would look over and see 2 or 3 crickets just floating there.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #5
myrogirl
OMG he put them in the dish? Thats priceless!!

Turbo seems like a lazy hunter. He grabs at things like 10 times before he really gets it. One reason I dont give him crix that often. He tries a few times, then just igores them lol Lazy bones

Virginia

Old 06-18-2005, 04:23 PM   #6
DiabloBoa
hey sounds like some kinda scorpion eating tactic no?

Old 06-18-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBoa
hey sounds like some kinda scorpion eating tactic no?
heheh, that is exactly what I thought too. It's what you'd have to do when your prey could easily make you its prey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borewyrm
That does sound like an inate hunting instinct, unlike the loony one I had that would grab crickets and carry them to the water dish. He would then drop them in and go about his buisness. He would then go back and eat them later. Well sometimes at least. Sometimes I would look over and see 2 or 3 crickets just floating there.
LMAO!!! now that sounds like the hunting technique of the smart but lazy. Almost human, in fact. That is really funny, I have never heard of a leo doing that before. I would love to see that.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
Borewyrm
I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him do it. I use those mealworm rock things that keep the worms in. They work well for crickets as they do not normally jump from the middle of the dish. So I was wondering how the heck they were getting out and drowning. Then I saw him stick his head in and grab one and my jaw dropped when I saw what he did next. As far as scorpions go .... I think my wife would throw me out if I came home with that. Lizards are ok .... snakes and large insects ... she has allready put her foot down And to be honest I do not believe I have ever seen one feed. I did see a pair fighting on TV once, thats my total experience with them. An entomologist I am not.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
progeckos
I have an albino male that does the same thing. After he bites it I pick it up with tweezers and move it in front of his face. That catches his attention and down it goes. Any time I hand feed him like that it goes straight down. When they are loose he chomps on it a little, spits it out and eats it later. What a little character…

Old 06-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borewyrm
I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him do it. I use those mealworm rock things that keep the worms in. They work well for crickets as they do not normally jump from the middle of the dish. So I was wondering how the heck they were getting out and drowning. Then I saw him stick his head in and grab one and my jaw dropped when I saw what he did next. As far as scorpions go .... I think my wife would throw me out if I came home with that. Lizards are ok .... snakes and large insects ... she has allready put her foot down And to be honest I do not believe I have ever seen one feed. I did see a pair fighting on TV once, thats my total experience with them. An entomologist I am not.
Scorpions are among the leopard gecko's natural prey in the wild, believe it or not! That was the meaning behind Vinny's reference to scorpion-eating. (not scorpions eating )

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!