Which of these incubators would you choose? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Which incubator would you choose?
Hova-Bator w/ Turbo Fan 1 33.33%
Reptibator 2 66.67%
Exo Terra Incubator (Or ReptiPro 6000) 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
HerpLuver
Which of these incubators would you choose?

I have posted this on a few other forums, but have been getting just about zero responses. I'm hoping for better results here!

If you have experience with any of these incubators or others in the same price range please comment below!

So I am looking to buy a second incubator. Currently I have a Hova-bator without the fan. The temps aren't very even across the entire thing, but it does its job. But now, I need another incubator. Because I need one set around 82, and the other around 90.

So I have been looking at buying one of these possible 3.

A - The Hova-bator turbo fan model - I can find one of these online for around $80 or so. Granted, I would have it on a different thermostat instead of that wafer t-stat. The turbo fan would help keep temps more evenly. It is kind of ugly, though.

B - The Reptibator from Zoo Med - I can get one from Pangea for $115. It has a built in T-stat, with alarm. I think its larger than the Hova-bator. It' looks nice, but I have heard its slightly flimsy, and has the same issue as the regular Hova-bator with keeping even temps across the entire incubator.

C - The Exo Terra Incubator - I haven't been able to find this for cheaper than $180 shipped. It has heating and cooling, a built in T stat, multiple shelves, neat design. Main issue with this is I have read quite a few reviews about keeping temps in this thing. People have said they can't confide in this one that it will hold proper temps. I have heard the cooling function barely works well at all. All this amongst other complaints that the design is shoddy, the door is flimsy, etc. etc..

I am buying a T stat at the same time. Likely one with two zones. So I will have another T stat to run any incubator I get, even just for back up.

What would you guys recommend?

Or do you have other recommendations?

Please vote and comment below! Thanks!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Celtic Constrictors
I use the exo terra for my leopard gecko eggs. It does fluctuate in temperature some. I set it at about 86 on the unit and I keep a thermometer with probe inside. The thermostat reads approximately 81 which is where I want it. So already it's off by 5 degrees on the display. It goes down to 79.8 and up to 83. A little bit of a swing but not bad. It works fine for me but just keep a thermometer inside to read accurately. I'll probably just build my next one from a ice chest and flex watt heat tape next go round.

PS I bought mine on eBay for $151 shipped only a month ago.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Pythonbreeder99
Find a cheap mini fridge on craigslist, throw a foot of heat tape in there with a Ranco thermostat and you have a very good still air incubator, I ran one this past season and had 3 successful clutches with a 100% hatch rate. Also temp fluctuation was 89.6-90.2 which is perfect for BP's. I have read bad reviews on everything but the reptibator but don't really want to put BP eggs in deli cups, so I made my own. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
hhmoore
I hate Hovabators. The Reptibator is a glorified Hovabator.
The ExoTerra looks very much like that piece of crap thing that used to sell on ThinkGeek - might be better, but I wouldn't count on it without lots of positive feedback.

Short of going with Nature's Spirit, you're better off building something. You can start with a cooler, a mini fridge, or even a wood box - the most expensive part will be the thermostat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!