Flex watt heat tape for dubia colony - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
s.potter
Flex watt heat tape for dubia colony

I was curious if anyone knows a little more about Flex watt heat tape using a Rheostat. A standard heating pad runs about 60 watts. I was curious if I ran 3 foot of Flex watt heat tape 6 watt hooked up to a Zoo Med Rheostat 150 watt would use less wattage combined than the heating pad. I know the Zoo Med Rheostat is 150 watt max.. but how much power does it draw just to run itself + the 18 watts of heat tape. Does anyone in here use Flex watt heat tape to heat dubia colonies in rubbermaid bins? I have 40 gallon rubbermaid bins. Any issues or information I should consider before attempting this?

Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.potter View Post
I was curious if anyone knows a little more about Flex watt heat tape using a Rheostat. A standard heating pad runs about 60 watts. I was curious if I ran 3 foot of Flex watt heat tape 6 watt hooked up to a Zoo Med Rheostat 150 watt would use less wattage combined than the heating pad. I know the Zoo Med Rheostat is 150 watt max.. but how much power does it draw just to run itself + the 18 watts of heat tape. Does anyone in here use Flex watt heat tape to heat dubia colonies in rubbermaid bins? I have 40 gallon rubbermaid bins. Any issues or information I should consider before attempting this?
how big of pads are you using? The ones I have that are rated 4 to 16 watts.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
s.potter
I'm using Sunbeam 731-5 I couldn't find the watts its using. I stumbled across something on the web that said average heating pads are about 60 watts. I'm just trying to find the best way to heat my colonies using the lowest wattage. I figure the biggest bill i'm going to have is electric an its reoccurring. Now that you said your heating pads are low wattage I'll have to search harder for my models wattage.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
suzuki4life
you're using a medical heating pad for people. I am referring to an undertank heating pad(UTH). You can use a UTH under a piece of slate tile and place your tub on top. The slate will absorb and disperse the heat.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Focal
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a rheostat does not use any power unless it has the lights on it. A rheostat is meant to reduce and adjust the output of power. You would be better served using the flexwatt IMO and it will run at less power. I used a human heat pad for a while and it would not work with a rheostat and it's lowest setting was too hot.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
s.potter
I found my "human heating pad" watts its 50.. I started looking at under the tank heat mats.. they come in a variety of watts and sizes. I'm using 40 gallon rubber made totes. What size under the tank reptile heat mats would you suggest with your slate tile suggestion? The heating pads I'm using doesn't provide enough heat in my opinion. When the house is cooled its hard to keep the heat above 85 degrees, on the bottom of the tube 1 foot away from heating pad, even with the heating pads on HI. I was thinking about trying under the tank reptile heat mats but couldn't decide if I wanted 8x8 10x11 or the bigger one 11x17 or 10x17 not sure which it is. The bigger the heat mat the more watts its pulling so if I would like to try an get away with the smallest possible while still keeping the inside of the colony around 90 degrees.

With Rheostats I was reading that they limit the amount of power going to the heating device but it only helps control the heat from your heating source. You don't get any benefit from less power consumption. I could be wrong on that though.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
suzuki4life
90's are ideal.

get the largest mat possible. What is the dimensions of your tub?

Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
s.potter
16 in wide x 26 in long x 18 in high +/- 1 in wide/long

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!