NEED HELP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
sneklover518
NEED HELP

Sorry I'm new to being a reptile hobbyist. And as much as I try and understand ball python genetics I can only somewhat get the hang of it.

So my question is say you breed a clown to black pastel, are you 100% going to get black pastel clowns? Or are some combinations rare? What are some things I should know about genetics that you think would help a beginner.

Im sorry if I sound dumb I truly just want to understand.

Thank you!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Robert Walker
If you breed Clown x Black Pastel, you will get:
1. Normals (wild type) 100% Het. for Clown
2. Black Pastels 100% Het. for Clown
Unfortunately you will not get what you appear to be hoping for, no black pastel clowns.

This means none of the babies will display features of the Clown pattern.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
sneklover518
Let me ask more. So say I breed Butter Lesser to a Black Pastel?

And if it's not possible how come people have posted pictures of a Black Pastel Clown?

I don't understand why it's so hard for me to understand and everyone else understands so simply

Old 07-20-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
bcr229
Spend some time playing with this:
http://www.worldofballpythons.com/wizard

Old 07-20-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneklover518 View Post
Let me ask more. So say I breed Butter Lesser to a Black Pastel?

And if it's not possible how come people have posted pictures of a Black Pastel Clown?

I don't understand why it's so hard for me to understand and everyone else understands so simply
Because the clown is a recessive gene, unless you have a het to breed to a clown or another clown to breed to a clown, you cannot make one.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Baddog1779
Once you get your black pastel het clown offspring you could technically breed it back to the clown parent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-20-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
Baddog1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog1779 View Post
Once you get your black pastel het clown offspring you could technically breed it back to the clown parent.

I messed up, you'd have to breed the offspring together. Don't know what I was thinking

Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
elena
No, black pastel het clown x clown would produce the desired result. You wouldn't need to breed the siblings. You would have to breed black pastel het clown x black pastel het clown only if you were trying for the super black pastel clown.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ball python, snake