Sumatran Water monitors and which subspecies are the largest and smallest? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
Buzzard111
Sumatran Water monitors and which subspecies are the largest and smallest?

I have 2 Sumatran water monitors about 18-22 inches, one is much larger which I am very sure is a male. When I first got them as hatchlings they were the same size but now the one looks like he could swallow the other lol. Also the one that is larger would always move his head like he was ready to mate even though he was months old, weird.

The water monitors sold as Sumatrans are they Varanus Salvator, Salvator, and do they actually really come from Sumatra or do they all come from Sri Lanka? So which of these subspecies is the largest and smallest, most common ect?

I love monitors and tegus, and water monitors are up there on my list with how intelligent they are. Please feel free to tell me your knowlegde and or interesting stories you have had with these wonderful lizards.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
mkushner@charter.net
I think Sri Lankan are known to be the largest. Technically Sumatrans are now varanus salvator macromaculatus too, not varanus salvator salvator. Idk man, to be honest unless an animal was bought from a renowned breeder or imported it's a tough call to say if they are true sumatrans. A lot of people slap 'Sumatrans on water monitors too if they don't actually know the local or subspecies. It sucks

Old 05-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
mkushner@charter.net
Btw I see it is a dead post but this i see a lot of questions on varanus salvator subspecies and not a lot of answers so I hope this helps someone! NERD and quolibet are good resources for these.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!