Intelligent varanus species? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
VaranidGuy
IME, most monitors can become interactive with their keeper, it just depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. Timors, for instance, tend to be extremely shy and reclusive, but with enough positive reinforcement (typically with food), even they can become rather accustomed to their owners and become inquisitive. It is the nature of all monitors.

Did you ever see that video where the intelligence of monitors was being researched? They used a savannah, which is touted by some to be the "dumbest" of the monitors. To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find an "unintelligent" monitor rather than an "intelligent" one.

If you want something that stays a very manageable size, isn't extremely shy, but doesn't tend to be overly aggressive either, I second Otto in saying an ackie would be the hot ticket.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
mkushner@charter.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaranidGuy View Post
IME, most monitors can become interactive with their keeper, it just depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. Timors, for instance, tend to be extremely shy and reclusive, but with enough positive reinforcement (typically with food), even they can become rather accustomed to their owners and become inquisitive. It is the nature of all monitors.

Did you ever see that video where the intelligence of monitors was being researched? They used a savannah, which is touted by some to be the "dumbest" of the monitors. To be honest, you'd be hard pressed to find an "unintelligent" monitor rather than an "intelligent" one.

If you want something that stays a very manageable size, isn't extremely shy, but doesn't tend to be overly aggressive either, I second Otto in saying an ackie would be the hot ticket.
Ended up with a red ackie! Very clever little species and it seems to actually enjoy interaction. Thanks for all the recommendations! Out of all the varanids I got to work with in the last month I really liked the ackies. I handled some timors, exanthematicus, and panoptes as well. Only the ackies waited at the front of ththe enclosure to be handled and once one was taken out of the cage the others crowded the door for their turn.

Pretty fun species to watch too. They're incredibly active and their interactions with one another can be pretty funny.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
VaranidGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkushner@charter.net View Post
Ended up with a red ackie! Very clever little species and it seems to actually enjoy interaction. Thanks for all the recommendations! Out of all the varanids I got to work with in the last month I really liked the ackies. I handled some timors, exanthematicus, and panoptes as well. Only the ackies waited at the front of ththe enclosure to be handled and once one was taken out of the cage the others crowded the door for their turn.

Pretty fun species to watch too. They're incredibly active and their interactions with one another can be pretty funny.
Good call! Ackies are wonderful little lizards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
species, varanus