Air vent/fans location help on custom enclosre - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
crossfire79
Air vent/fans location help on custom enclosre

I bought black roughneck 1.5 yrs ago and am building him a custom enclosure 5ft long 6 ft tall 2.5 ft wide. made out of 1/3" plywood and is 3 tiers that can separate for moving. i have 2 heat lamps on top tier and one on bottom tier.

I need to know how many air vents to put in? What size?

How many fans should i put in? What size of fans?

Should the fans blow into enclosure or out of it? Where should fans go? Up top or down low? Or spread out, with one fan and one vent on each tier?

THANK YOU
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
crossfire79
ALSO is it okay that I used vegetable oil to coat the bottom plywood, and wood for sides of water dish, in order to prevent water from seeping too far?

Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
Otto Glott
I use an all around wood sealant and as long as you open the door once a day the air exchange should suffice.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
VaranidGuy
If you insist on putting vents in the cage, put them near the substrate, as that will cause the least amount of heat/moisture loss location wise. A fan shouldn't be necessary so long as proper temperatures are maintained.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
crossfire79
dont use veggtable oil to seal wood

yeah my idea to try to use nice safe for consumption veggie oil to seal the wood underneath the substrate didn't work so well. About a month after finishing I found black mold had grown everywhere light wasn't penetrating. So now I gotta empty it out, dry it out, remove the mold and then seal it. I got this rubber stuff from Lowes intended for use on the roof of a house. I am still debating on whether or not I will use it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!