Is my monitor too fat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: am I over feeding?
B.R.N. yes 0 0%
B.R.N. no 0 0%
Argus yes 0 0%
Argus no 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
crossfire79
Is my monitor too fat?

i just want someone who has more experience than me to look at these pics of my 10 month old Argus monitor, and 2.5 year old black rough neck monitor, and tell me if it looks like they are being fed properly or too much?

The Argus monitor is getting fed every 2 or 3 days, and each feeding consists of anywhere from 1 to 3 adult mice (some with fur some without), or 1 mouse and a 1 week old quail, or 1-2 mice and one or more of the following in a proper proportion, beef heart, organic ground turkey (white meat), dubia roaches.

He won't eat boiled eggs, but the black rough neck loves hard boiled eggs but won't touch beef heart. I have a problem with the Argus monitor's stool being too loose so he gets more mice with fur, and was told to cut back on red meat.

The black rough neck was getting fed on the same schedule but with slighlty less amounts as Argus for about 2 or 3 months then I cut him back to about once or twice a week. Each feeding consists of 1-2 adult mice alternating fur/no fur, or one 1 week old quail, OR one mouse and dubia roaches, ground turkey, hard boiled egg.

The portion of ground turkey for both lizards consists of 6-8 teaspoons, or balls about the size of quarter. Occasionally i'll sprinkle Miner-all powder on it.

Each portion of Dubia consists of 10-20 roaches ranging in size from 3/4"to1 1/4", the more large ones they get the less I'll offer.

The Beef heart portions are now about a tablespoon sliced into strips, but he was getting a lot more than that a few months ago.

One of the mistakes I made with my last monitor was not offering enough variety of food. Since that is corrected this time around, now I need to be cautious to not to over feed them. Thank you for your feedback
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
VaranidGuy
Their weight looks good. The line of slightly loose skin on their sides is what you want, without being too skinny, if that makes any sense.

What kind of enclosures do you have them in and how hot are they kept?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
guyzo3
Yeah the roughneck is fat... I give mine a thermoclines of 80-145°F and a secure hide spot

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!