Experienced Savannah Monitor keeper looking for bigger monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Mattsc91
Experienced Savannah Monitor keeper looking for bigger monitor

Basically, what it says. I have several years of experience with Savannah monitors, and I recently moved into a larger place with a spare bedroom I would like to dedicate to a larger monitor species.

I am slightly opposed to getting a Nile Monitor, don't live in a region where providing shellfish for a Dumeril's would be feasible, and would prefer to spend less than 1000 dollars on the purchase of the animal itself. There are no local or state laws forbidding any monitor species, for me. I would prefer something that is relatively tame and comfortable with being handled, and relatively intelligent. I'm curious what everyone thinks would be the next logical step to take - white or black throats are the likely contenders currently but I am open to any sort of suggestion.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
jtrux
I really like my tegu but if I ever moved over to the monitor side, I would likely get a mangrove monitor.

Of course, if you're wanting to go huge, there are always deals on sub-adult water monitors in the classifieds sub-forum.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Mattsc91
What species of tegu? When it comes to size, I'm looking for something that will eventually reach 5+ feet in total length... but I'd consider it a necessity to get it from a young age, preferably from a breeder.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
jtrux
Hey Matt,

I have what is commonly referred to as an Extreme Giant tegu. They really are nothing more than a "whiter" Argentine black and white tegu.

Tegus CAN get 5+ but I don't think it is too common. They more commonly reach 4+ and 15lbs. I really enjoy mine. He is very personable and almost enjoys coming out and cruising around my herp room when I'm cleaning other enclosures. He will explore every inch of the room and end up right between my legs (in the way usually).

Mine is hibernating right now which is good and bad. Good because I don't have to feed or clean, just provide clean water. Bad because I don't get to do anything with him which is what's fun about owning tegus.

I received mine from Johnny LaRocca (teguterrra) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone else. He's an all around good guy.

If I had a whole room to dedicate to a large lizard, I would likely have a trio of tegus over a large monitor but that's just me.

If you really have your heart set on a HUGE lizard, then a tegu probably isn't what you're looking for. They get plenty big but they are far from HUGE. You might try finding someone local to you that has one and see what you think. I've had monitors and they were all OK but my tegu has never bitten or tail whipped at all. A little hiss occasionally but only if I startle him. If you start with a hatchling they take time to calm down but mine was about 2' when i got him and already pretty calm. It took about a week to get him to relax completely with me.

This is what I bought, hope this helps...

http://www.teguterra.com/apps/websto...s/show/3239560

Josh

Old 10-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #5
Mattsc91
"huge" isn't the word I'd use, or I'd be converting my basement into an enclosure for an american alligator. Which I have thought about, but I like my billiards room....

Anyway...

Idk. How different are monitors and tegus in terms of temperament, intelligence, and interaction? My experience with the latter is negligible and I know a lot more about the former.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
jtrux
The former tends to have more "off" days imo. The latter will be more socialable and seem to enjoy interaction. Once again, this is just my opino which is based on limited experience. Some people will argue that certain monitors are puppy-dog tame and that some tegus are evil. I'm sure there are examples of both. My monitors that I owned previously were never easy to handle and only tolerated it for short periods. My tegu can be out for hours and will continue to get more and more calm, the longer he stays out.

I'm not saying I will never own a monitor again but given the choice, I will take the tegu.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Edwardo
My tegu can be out for hours and will continue to get more and more calm, the longer he stays out.

Im not doubting what your saying, Im just courious as to what some of the indicators are, from the tegu, that makes you say he gets more and more calm, the longer he is out? thanks Bob

Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
dekaybrown

Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Demetrius2018
Hey my names Demetrius, I have 2 Savannahs and a Nile monitor for sale if your interested?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!