Socializing skittish monitor species - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
sooperscoot
Socializing skittish monitor species

Hi,
I was hoping I could get some input on socializing techniques of monitor species that are naturally more skittish. I'm currently working with a yearling peach throat.
He hasn't shown any aggression at all and is reasonably calm when handled but is very skittish in his enclosure, especially when the door slides open.
I'm looking forward to hearing any specific techniques that proved successful for you guys.

Thanks.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 AM   #2
Otto Glott
I have a link to monitor training after the early years https://youtu.be/LWTITUgDcmU but remember the indicus complex (peach throats, mangroves, etc.) varanids are very shy. I have a panoptes, female, which does make it more challenging, and I just spent time in her cage before she began coming to me to see what I am. She now comes when called. The guy who made the video, Crocdoc2, is probably the best in the industry and he told me his female lace took 4 years to come around. The Varanidae family is broken into clads and each subgroup has its own set characteristics. Niles are aggressive, Mangroves are shy, etc. There are always exceptions and some individuals from any clad may never be calm like you may see on youtube. Hope the video helps...

Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Kjm88
Hey,

Best of luck to you and I agree Crocdoc has some awesome and informational videos on YouTube. Defiantly worth watching and learning from.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!