Intelligent varanus species? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #1
mkushner@charter.net
Intelligent varanus species?

I would love to house a salvator however I just don't have the space for one. I am looking for a slightly smaller species that shows similar inquisitive and engaging behavior. Right now considering v dumerilii, v melinus, v panoptes. Ackies too however I am under the impression they are not as smart but still a rewarding species to keep.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Kjm88
Hello,

I’ve worked with a few different species of monitors. The smaller the monitor the more reserved they will be. You can overcome this with years of trust building. With the larger monitors I have found they come around a little faster, because they know they’re big and can defend themselves.

Now when it comes to intelligence I have yet to meet a dumb monitor. Once the monitor relaxes that’s when the intelligence kicks in. So in my opinion, any of the monitor species you’ve listed above are all smart and inquisitive once they’re not afraid of everything that moves.

Good luck and keep us posted on your choice.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
mkushner@charter.net
Thanks so much! I work in a reptile shop at the moment so might just wait to so if an individual from any small or medium varanus comes through that I build a connection with! It's definitely a privilege to be able to look at a whole group day to day and see the little differences in characteristics between animals. We have a whole group of exanthematicus and one in particular is pretty bold. Wasn't even considering one of them but if no one scoops him up I might have to!
Will def keep you all posted.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
Otto Glott
Argus monitors are a medium sized species that are just as bold as the largest. Females stay withing 3' while males get to 5' on average but there have been larger.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
mkushner@charter.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Glott View Post
Argus monitors are a medium sized species that are just as bold as the largest. Females stay withing 3' while males get to 5' on average but there have been larger.
We have a pretty cool panoptes and gouldii/flav cross in shop that is definitely intelligent. The panoptes are smart but not as cooperative from what I've experienced. Always thinking but typically thinking about food and not as much interested people I hear. It sounds like although some are more nervous, varanus melinus might be the closest to water monitor in their intelligence and curiosity.
It's a shame mertensi are so expensive and hard to find!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
mkushner@charter.net
I guess it would be good to ask if anyone has different experience with panoptes or any success with training them to not be so food aggressive?

Old 06-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Otto Glott
I disagree. My Argus is much more cooperative than a shy Indicus species that generally spends the first year hiding. My experience with panoptes is that they are up front and not afraid of anything. They are hungry and you have to limit their food intake but to be honest each individual monitor varies in temperament. You can get an asshole of a water monitor or a teddy bear of an Argus, I just like panoptes as they are the best overall and are such a strong and intelligent species.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Otto Glott
I don't think any monitor is interested in us humans they are food driven as any wild animal. You may want to get an agamidae species of reptile if interaction is your top priority.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
mkushner@charter.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Glott View Post
I don't think any monitor is interested in us humans they are food driven as any wild animal. You may want to get an agamidae species of reptile if interaction is your top priority.
I've had agamids! Just looking for the most interactive of the smaller varanids. I have worked with varanus salvator but don't have the room for one in my own peraonal collection so mostly trying to find the most similarly behaving smaller species if possible.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
Otto Glott
Ackie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
species, varanus