Abundance of Lace Monitors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
TreeCroc
Abundance of Lace Monitors

Since my friend Don posted a Bell's for sale for a rather affordable price, and one member questioned the pricing I feel like this would be a proper response to his question.
There is no "abundance" of Lace monitors, let alone Bell's phase. Hence the price. Despite a few being offered here and there ( which have been flipped by less than scrupulous keepers ) myself, Don, and JME are THE only 3 people in the US currently breeding them, as well with hatchlings available right now.
As in you want one today all 3 of us could accommodate that request right now.
In reference to monitors are "all the same" I think your ignorance about this species is an all out example of how little you may think you know of varanus in general.
It's very hard to compare a Lace to say a Mangrove monitor, or a black throat.
Which my naive friend, you have collectively pigeonholed into the same class.
They ( Lace ) are very intelligent and require specialized care, much as any other species of varanus. In very different aspects. As well 250+ days of incubation for eggs really separates the men from the boys. Hence the price....and non abundance.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
DevenTheDude
The level of ignorance in some people is unreal. I applaud the 3 of you for the hard work and dedication you put into breeding and caring for such a magnificent species.
I can only hope to get on that level some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
TreeCroc
Roger that, thanks for the acknowledgement

Old 01-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
snowgyre
Let's be honest, the people complaining about the price are the people who want an attractive varanid to stoke their own ego and don't give a rat's behind about the natural history or care of the species. They would lose interest as soon as they realized they couldn't turn a quick profit. They're probably the same people who complain over a $100 leopard gecko. Don't let them bother you, anyone who has been in this hobby for a while knows the amount of work the Bell's keepers have been putting in, and we know the price, while steep in comparison to other species, is justified.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Maynie
The thread title got me excited... "What!? There's an abundance of Lace Monitors in the U.S.???!!" I'll own one some day, hoping for sooner rather than later.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!