New here, howdy! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > The Welcome Room & New Member Intros

Notices

The Welcome Room & New Member Intros How about a place for new members to come on in, make an introduction, and meet the regulars? Talk about yourself or anything else that comes to mind, just to break the ice. Or just pull up a chair and make yourself at home for a spell.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #11
hotlips
Besides the obvious good sanitation & hand-washing....there seems to be a zoonotic risk if you're handling as a pet? Just wondering...

Old 04-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
VirulentVulpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
He sounds wonderful!! Are you thinking of ever getting another or would two be too much of a handful? (And do two coatimundi even get along?)
I am thinking of getting another, likely a female. In the wild, female coatimundi are dominant, and will bully and chase mature males out of their clans. But as pets, I have not heard of or witnessed such things- as to why, I don't have the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
Wow, fascinating room-mates you've got! Welcome, sounds like you might have a career in exotics somewhere down the road?
I'd love to, maybe work at a zoo or become a USDA exhibitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
Who bred your specimen?
Frazier Farm Exotics, in Tennessee. Wonderful breeder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlips View Post
On kinkajous, wikipedia had this to say: "In 2011, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that pet kinkajous in the United States can be carriers (fecal-oral route) of the raccoon roundworm Baylisascaris procyonis, which is capable of causing severe morbidity and even death in humans, if the brain is infected.[15]"

I'm wondering, how do you deal with this issue? (does regular de-worming take care of this?)
I've never heard of any kinkajous spreading raccoon roundworm to their owners, but as with any animal, keeping it healthy and its living space clean will minimize the risk of zoonotic diseases. I will have to ask my exotic vet if deworming prevents Baylisascaris procyonis.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #13
Helenthereef
I love your coati. I remember seeing a pet one in Central America and it was like an otter on steroids - into everything, climbing and poking around, and in severe danger of emptying his owners backpack every 5 mins. Looked lovable but exhausting!

One question though - I had heard that as they get older, male coatis become more surly and aggressive. Not sure at what age. Have you neutered yours? Is that even a thing?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #14
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirulentVulpine View Post
Frazier Farm Exotics, in Tennessee. Wonderful breeder!
Looking at the Facebook page, they seem to have amazing animals. Thank so much for sharing.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #15
VirulentVulpine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I love your coati. I remember seeing a pet one in Central America and it was like an otter on steroids - into everything, climbing and poking around, and in severe danger of emptying his owners backpack every 5 mins. Looked lovable but exhausting!

One question though - I had heard that as they get older, male coatis become more surly and aggressive. Not sure at what age. Have you neutered yours? Is that even a thing?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Yep, to keep coatis friendly you have to spay or neuter them before they hit 1 year of age. I have neutered Vega- it's a thing, but you need a special exotic animal vet, and it's about $350 for a neuter. They get less active and more easily irritated when they're old, but that's about it.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirulentVulpine View Post
Yep, to keep coatis friendly you have to spay or neuter them before they hit 1 year of age. I have neutered Vega- it's a thing, but you need a special exotic animal vet, and it's about $350 for a neuter. They get less active and more easily irritated when they're old, but that's about it.
Thanks for that, it's something to be very aware of when keeping less than normally domesticated animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!