Giving birth after 6 years from a male... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
GHC Exotics
Here are more photos from the birthing... As you can see from around her, she had several slugs, and there were even 2 that seemed like they were forming, but died early into it.. enjoy the pictures.. The first photo shows what I walked into Sunday Morning. She generally will not eat in front of people, or with the lights on, so I leave her meal inside the cage with her overnight, I first noticed the food remaining in the cage, then saw all the suprises second. I then removed the rodent, from the cage, and she continued the birthing process.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
SirenSanJose
Wow, not even out of the sac and already trying to eat your face. What an adorable, fiesty little mite!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
GHC Exotics
Well, actually that was its first big "yawn", they both are still on the slow side as of right now, no telling what will happen after the first shed. They are doing very well so far!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 PM   #14
radera5
This is so sweet!Thanks for the thread!!
If I had good Karma I would send it your way!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #15
Helenthereef
If you can afford it DNA analysis would answer your question. I'm told it's possible to get DNA from freshly shed skins. Did you keep the slugs? there might be recoverable DNA in there.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #16
SamanthaJane13
HOLY SPERM RETENTION, Bat Man!!

Congrats to you and the momma!!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
rcarichter
My favorite line from Jurassic Park--"Life finds a way."

Noelle

Old 08-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #18
SamanthaJane13
For sure!!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #19
lauraleellbp
Wow what an amazing story!

I'm also extremely curious if this was from stored sperm or parthenogenesis. I'd guess stored sperm, and that would also explain why so many slugs/stillbirths/deformities as the sperm deteriorated over time.

You should contact your local news!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
GHC Exotics
Actually I did keep the slugs, they are all frozen in a container right now, I was hoping to figure out a way to preserve them for display purposes along with keeping the two babes for display. Im not even sure where to start to find out how much DNA testing would cost, though Im sure its far more than we have right now, funds stay tight as a small business!
But either way, it really is one of the more interesting things thats ever happened to me while dealing with reptiles, or heck, animals of any sort for that matter!!
Im hoping to do an update video as these babies progress, They seem to be doing decently well though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!