Just what we need. "UPDATE: Deadly Snake Still Missing In Onslow County" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Dennis Hultman
Just what we need. "UPDATE: Deadly Snake Still Missing In Onslow County"

Not only do we have to worry about our own bringing negative attention, we now might have nuts on the flip side releasing hots.

UPDATE: Deadly Snake Still Missing In Onslow County

http://www.witntv.com/home/headlines/19186249.html

"Officials said they believed the snake was released by a group trying to raise awareness in making it illegal for people to own exotic animals."

Quote:
There has been no progress toward catching the deadly snake that's on the loose in Onslow County.

A resident on Mill Farms Road, that's off Piney Green Road, saw a Monocled Cobra under her back deck earlier this week.

Officials said they believed the snake was released by a group trying to raise awareness in making it illegal for people to own exotic animals.

But the public relations director for the Animal Protection Institute says her organization had nothing to do with the snake release.

Officials say they found a flyer indicating someone lost two cobras, while Thursday night just one was spotted by the resident.

Officials warn these snakes can be deadly with one bite. They urge you to stay away if you see these snakes and immediately call authorities.

Thursday's Story

Officials say the two Monocled Cobras on the loose in Onslow County may have been dumped there by an animal rights group pushing for a ban on exotic animals.

The two cobras are believed to be near Mill Farms Road off Piney Green Road in Onslow County.

Officials say they found a flyer indicating someone lost the two cobras. They believe the snakes were placed there by the group Animal Protection Institute to raise awareness in making it illegal for people to own exotic animals.

In an e-mail to WITN News, Animal Protection Institute public relations director Zibby Wilder said her organization had nothing to do with the snake release.

Wilder says this is yet another example of why North Carolina needs to regulate ownership of dangerous wild animals. "Obviously this is a hoax perpetrated by someone upset about pending legislation that we are involved in," Wilder said in her e-mail to WITN.

Officials warn these snakes can be deadly with one bite. They urge you to stay away if you see these snakes and immediately call authorities.

According to National Geographic, The most deadly serpent aboard fictional Pacific Air Flight 121 is the Monocled cobra. Like many venomous snakes, the cobra's poison affects its victim's central nervous system. But Monocled cobra venom is so powerful that the victim's immune system goes into hyperdrive and actually begins to break down organs and muscles. Death is almost instantaneous.

The Monocled cobra is named for the conspicuous design on its hood that can feature either one or two "eyes." The snake can grow up to 6.5 feet long and hunts mostly at night.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Dennis Hultman
http://www.nbc17.com/midatlantic/ncn...5-23-0014.html

Quote:
Jessica Wisman says, "Out of the corner of my eye I saw something coming, before I realized it, it was a snake coming at us and I jumped and ran into the house and all I saw was a silver head with a black circle and a white circle surrounding it." Wisman lives in Onslow County on Winners Circle.

Snake experts confirmed what Jessica Wisman saw was a monocled cobra, a snake with venom that can cause death almost immediately. Jennifer Grooms with HERP Wildlife Rescue says they spotted the cobra coiled up underneath this deck and tore the deck apart but after hours, they could not find the snake.

"Most people need to be aware of when they are walking outside, don't be barefoot. After it rains we tend to have a little more activity with our snakes," says Grooms. And if you spot the snake, "Stand still. Stand completely still and back away very slowly. Never turn your back on any animal," says Grooms.

Where it came from is still a mystery. Neighbors say a few weeks ago someone posted flyers about two missing pet snakes. Grooms says there is a chance an animal rights group released it on purpose to scare people, so the state will ban exotic animals.

If you see a skinny, long unique looking snake call Animal Control immediately. Animal Control says it is illegal to have a venomous snake in Onslow County.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
SPJ
Quote:
Monocled cobra venom is so powerful that the victim's immune system goes into hyperdrive and actually begins to break down organs and muscles. Death is almost instantaneous.
What a load of BS. Yes it is toxic but you're not going to drop dead the instant it bites you. What a nice scare tactic.
Quote:
The Monocled cobra is named for the conspicuous design on its hood that can feature either one or two "eyes."
Close but I have not heard of the Indian cobra with the "two" eyes ever refered to as the monocle cobra which BTW as the name signifies has "one" eye on it's hood.
Quote:
before I realized it, it was a snake coming at us
Geesh. I guess it if had hands it would have opened the door to the house and chased them into a bedroom.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bonehead organization let them loose in some stupid and dangerous stunt to ban the keeping of exotics.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
sschind
I'm not a cobra expert but aren't the markings that are described as "eyes" on the back of the snakes neck? If she saw it out of the corner of her eye, jumped up and was running away, and the snake was coming at her, how could she see the back of its neck? Just curious. The events may not have happened the way she described but if they did, it sounds fishy to me.

Do cobras eat fish?

Old 06-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #5
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
I wouldn't be surprised if the bonehead organization let them loose in some stupid and dangerous stunt to ban the keeping of exotics.
I wouldn't be to surprised either.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!