IDEA- Shipping Option- Sharing Casual Carpool for Shipping? What do you think? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
ucal
IDEA- Shipping Option- Sharing Casual Carpool for Shipping? What do you think?

Greetings. I have been on the forums for a little while, but am not much of a poster. I was interested if the moderators and/or if any of you think it would be a good idea to set up a sub-category for those individuals that may be traveling and could help with shipping herps. Example, I live in CA (specifically Northern CA). I see a lot of animals that I would love to get but are in So-Cal including cages, etc. IF someone was happening to come up North perhaps I would be able to coordinate and happily pay the gas other fees for bringing the animal/cage/etc. up towards me. Kind of a spin off of casual carpool commuters. The category could even include each state or be divided into West Mid East Coasts. I think this might be beneficial for those want to save money on shipping and for those that are taking a trip and could get their gas paid for them for just taking something small or big depending on what it is. I know there are some considerations (sick animals, trusting someone to deliver, etc. but it could possibly be helpful). What are all of your thoughts??? Thanks for listening/reading.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
Willow
Sounds like a good way for someone to steal your animal instead of delivering it = /

Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
ucal
Agree there are potential problems

Yes. I agree as I mentioned in my original posting. There is definitely an issue of trust, but does that mean it should not be considered or maybe I am too trusting of others. I hope there will be a rating system and imagine the deliverer does not know what they are delivering as it will be packaged in a box. With the amount of information on the Internet these days and with multiple emails you can get a sense of someone pretty good. With the price of shipping I am surprised someone has not set up business to do these exact things but as an animal/pet specific focus. I think there might be a good market especially with the tools that allow to check Craigslist in multiple areas. Again, I see potentia problems but are they enough to not even try? I don't know but am open to opinions.

I will be the first to start- I want to pick up some critter condos and bring them from LA to the SF Bay Area. It would require an open bed truck or large SUV and I am prepared to pay someone if they were planning on coming up here anyways. The cages can be delivered to your doorstep or you can meet the person in Bakersfield. IF ANYONE is interested in helping me out PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks again for your time and your thoughts.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucal View Post
and imagine the deliverer does not know what they are delivering as it will be packaged in a box.
I can just imagine the caliber of persons that you might get, 'no questions asked' deliveries are commonly drugs or guns. I would guess the charges for those kinds of 'don't ask, don't tell' deliveries would be very high.
There is actually a 'rideshare' section on Craigslist. Since you work at a respected university, I'm wondering if perhaps one of the students might not want to pick up some cash by doing your transport?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
Skanakis
I can tear into this sooooooooo hard but ill get SOOOOO infracted by this. But keeping it short. As good as an idea as it CAN be...its just not. COULD be VERY useful...but the variables are just to great to even put together.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
With the price of shipping I am surprised someone has not set up business to do these exact things
Have you noticed the price of gas? It is cheaper to ship a reptile than to drive a few hours to pick it up, in most cases (there will be some obvious, size related, exceptions).
Quote:
I will be the first to start- I want blah, blah, blah - actual content not included because it was inappropriate advertising, and I'm not going to repost it.
If you want to be the first to start, I suggest you post your request in the classifieds, NOT in a discussion area. Advertising in any section other than the classifieds is subject to infractions and can get your post removed.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Gloryhound
I wouldn't want to carry another breeders animal to the final point of sale due to the implications that could come of it.

People could blame you of swapping animals.
You could get blamed for not properly hauling the animal and it got sick.
If you get in an accident on the way all kinds of additional problems could come up.

And the list goes on.

In theory it sounds like a great idea, but when you start thinking about putting it into practice all kinds of issues could come out of it.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
ucal
More specifically.,,

Thank you for all the feedback and my apologies for any board infractions I have committed. I tried to remove it from the posting but could not figure how to.

I understand all the complications but still feel like it has some potential. I guess I was thinking more in the lines of large objects like cages or a rack (such as what I was looking for when I started this thread). Also, I was thinking of people already going that particular direction in a state, city, etc. In that case it might benefit both parties and be more convenient. I thought of this for another reason as well as some may have health conditions that may limit travel. Oh well, it was only a thought. I do see the importance of the potential driving party to know the contents of a particular package. Thanks again for the feedback and please don't take the idea personal. It was just an idea I thought might benefit others and wanted to ask the forum members for their opinions as this forum has been so beneficial to me. Thanks for reading.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
ucal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanakis View Post
I can tear into this sooooooooo hard but ill get SOOOOO infracted by this. But keeping it short. As good as an idea as it CAN be...its just not. COULD be VERY useful...but the variables are just to great to even put together.
If you have the time please feel free to email or PM me. I am always open to criticisms, etc. Sometimes I still feel strange sending payments for animals I may or may not get. When it comes to paypal there are so many holes in one's protection so I see this as similar in the types of risks and the areas that could be a problem. The question is- is there any potential benefit at all?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
I understand all the complications but still feel like it has some potential. I guess I was thinking more in the lines of large objects like cages or a rack (such as what I was looking for when I started this thread).
I think liability would be a big problem. Suppose those cages got damaged along the way. Or there are shortages of parts? Or only half of those cages show up at your place? Who would be responsible? Generally a seller is going to limit his or her responsibility to the first point of delivery, which in this kind of case would be the party picking up those cages. Unless they are being paid enough to be able to cover repairs for the damages or shortages, whether they were at fault or not, I doubt very many people would be willing to shoulder that sort of liability and responsibility.

As for animals, well, suppose one or more died along the way? Then what?

I dunno, I think the responsibility inherent upon the persons engaging in transporting any goods for another is going to be quite an insurmountable burden. And that's even presuming you have someone honest offering to do this.

Suppose the person picks up the cages or animals and you never hear from them again? Then what? Do you have a contract of any sort? As far as the seller is concerned, the merchandise was delivered as per your specifications.

Yeah, this would be a helpful arrangement in a perfect world, but I think you need to spend more time reading the BOI to get a better feel for just how imperfect it really is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!