Very skinny leo - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Sarah H
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlebuyer
I gave him some crix last night and he was trying to catch them but I dont know if he did. Can they be force fed. I have reason to believe that it is not sick because it is on of my babies so it hasnt been anywhere to get sick. If it is impacted it seems there is not much I can do and to put it bluntly Im not going to spend 2-3 hundred bones for a 60 doller leo. I dont want it to die and Im doing everything I can and taking your advice but I have kids and a house payment and gas is $3 a gallon again.

Sounds like maybe you shouldn't own any animals then........ seriously, if you own animals you should be able to care for them, you took on that responsibility when you got them.

And there is a good posibility it will not cost 2-300dollars. Could be something simple that requres antibotics. But you won't know that till you acually take it to the vet.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
dragonflyreptiles
I agree with Sarah 100% and it will most likely be less than $100, Id call and ASK a price before ASSuming it will be $2-300. It may be a case of pinworms which are inexpensive to treat or something totally non parasite related that could be very inexpensive to treat.

Did you keep the leo on sand? If so you can try a few drops of olive oil a day on his/her nose and they will lick it off and do some warm baths (soak in luke warm water for 20 minutes a day) to help aid the impaction coming out.

If the leo has never been on sand, impaction is unlikely and its most likely something else going on, could be as simple as not being able to get food while caged with others, if he/she was bullied and unable to eat.

Alice already posted the link to the Slurry that can be fed to help ALOT, you place a few drops on their face and they will lick it off.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #13
thesnakecharmer
Good points you guys,,, I think it is unfair to your pet to not give him a chance. Too many pet owners place monetary values on their animal's lives which just sucks. I understand that vet bills can get expensive, but it probably won't be as bad as you think. At least take him in to get pricing on proper vet care before you jump to conclusions. Good luck to you.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #14
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlebuyer
I gave him some crix last night and he was trying to catch them but I dont know if he did. Can they be force fed. I have reason to believe that it is not sick because it is on of my babies so it hasnt been anywhere to get sick. If it is impacted it seems there is not much I can do and to put it bluntly Im not going to spend 2-3 hundred bones for a 60 doller leo. I dont want it to die and Im doing everything I can and taking your advice but I have kids and a house payment and gas is $3 a gallon again.
Then you should not OWN a pet. If you cannot (or will not) spend the money to give it the basic care it needs to survive, won't even call a vet to find out what it will cost....give it to someone who will.

People who would rather let an animal slowly suffer and starve to death instead of taking proper care of them make me ILL.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:08 AM   #15
DiabloBoa
i agree that owning a pet is a responsibilty, and sometimes choices have to be made about how far your gonna go to save them. im trying to not jump on anybodies case about it, but it does suck.

it very well could be something simple to diagnose and treat, but if you dont then it can and probably will affect any other leos you have. then youll be dealing with a bunch of sick pets that are all withering and dying away right in front of you, slowly, a little every day. cuz now you really cant afford to treat all of them, instead of just the one for now.

sure it a worse case but its possible, and is unfair to your pets. it may even ruin keeping these wonderful animals for you.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:12 AM   #16
DiabloBoa
oh ya, lose the calci-sand for sure. im sure its fine for something, just not keeping leos on. ive never used it but have seen first hand that leos will eat loose substrates, and one that clumps up like calci-sand has to be all bad.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #17
turtlebuyer
I took the sand out and I am putting mineral oil on their noses to help pass the sand if that is the problem. I am even force feeding them Mworms dipped in suppliments. I dont see how this particular leo could have worms or anything else cuz its never been out of my house and my others have come from Kelly or tremper or that guy who developed blazing blizzes. I will try soaking them in warm watter this evening.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #18
Golden Gate Geckos
Quote:
I dont see how this particular leo could have worms or anything else cuz its never been out of my house and my others have come from Kelly or tremper or that guy who developed blazing blizzes.
NEVER assume a newly acquired gecko is disease free... regardless of where you got it!

Quote:
Then you should not OWN a pet. If you cannot (or will not) spend the money to give it the basic care it needs to survive, won't even call a vet to find out what it will cost....give it to someone who will.

People who would rather let an animal slowly suffer and starve to death instead of taking proper care of them make me ILL.
In light of some of the recent posts here, I couldn't agree more...

Old 09-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #19
turtlebuyer
Ok ok how about I give it a week and if I dont see any improvement Ill find a vette. Will that make you guys happy. I dont want to be cruel to animals. If I didnt love aminals I wouldnt have 3 birds 3 cats 1 dog and 20 leos. I just hate paying high vet bills. Hell I wont take myself to the doctor anymore unless I think Im dying.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!