Can't stay logged in? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
WebSlave
Can't stay logged in?

A FYI.....

I seem to get a lot of emails from members who say they are able to log in, but when they try to go to any other page on the site, they find that they are no longer logged in. Or they just keep getting bounced back to the login page after they do log in. Which, of course, means they can't post anywhere. My general response has been that it is a problem with their browser's ability to handle cookies, but that appears to be only partially accurate.

I asked my programmer about this problem, figuring he has probably had more experience with vBulletin issues then most people, and here is the response I got from him:

Quote:
It is a corrupt cookie problem. This nearly always happens on IE browsers and related to browser (user end). A cookie gets corrupted and IE cant overwrite it hence problem happens. This cookie needs to be deleted manually by the user in cookie directory or all his cookies should be deleted by the user in IE/internet options/general/DELETE COOKIES.

Alternatively user can use another browser (eg. firefox) which will fix the
problem since its cookie structure is seperate from IE. If he uses IE based
browsers this method will not work as they share the same cookie directory (eg. maxthon or avant browsers) so new browser should be independant from IE completely like firefox, safari or mozzila browsers.

Since it is on user end, there is nothing you can do.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
varnyard
That might be the case, but it did not do this on the old server. I can be on the site and not log out and it is like it times out. I find myself needing to login time after time, if it is a IE problem, why was it different before?

Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard View Post
That might be the case, but it did not do this on the old server. I can be on the site and not log out and it is like it times out. I find myself needing to login time after time, if it is a IE problem, why was it different before?
If it were the server, then it would likely happen to everyone. Which certainly is NOT the case. I believe I am on here more than most people, and I have NEVER had it time out on me.

There are all kinds of PCs out there accessing this site, with all sorts of levels of updates and software versions for not only their brower but the operating system as well. I'm sure there is a common cause somewhere, but I'm certainly not going to try to figure out that one.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Bobby, I don't know if this will help, but you can add the site as a 'Trusted Site' in your IE Tools -Internet Options. Hit the security tab when you open it, and click the 'Trusted Sites' icon, then hit the 'Sites' button just below and to the right of it. 'www.faunaclassifieds.com' should show up in the field at the top of the new window, just hit the 'add site' button. Also, uncheck the 'require server verification.....' box.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Fireside3
Adding as trusted site hasn't helped, but I ran across a "fix" so to speak by accident. Typically I would log in, be welcomed, and bam would get booted back to the login screen, or I could see that my user CP, etc. didn't pull up, so couldn't post, no matter how many times I tried logging in. This happened whether I was on IE7, IE8, or Firefox.

One night I typed in my user name and password correctly the first time, was apparently logged in, but not...then in disgust I banged out the correct user name the second time, but muffed up the password. To my surprise it brought up my user bar and I was now logged in and able to post, etc. Seems to work for me if I try to login correctly the first time, then screw up the password on the second attempt, and for whatever reason I'm good after that.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #6
WebSlave
Check the URL bar when that happens to make sure the URL has the "http://www.faunaclassifieds.com...." instead of "http://faunaclassifieds.com....". I've seen this cause some odd problems on some other sites...

Old 09-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Fireside3
I've seen that happen to on other sites, and I double checked that to, but in this case it still wouldn't keep me logged in even if it was www. Might work for others, but as for me, I'm having to fudge my second login attempt, but it works like a charm every time. Almost like the system is saying "No this is your account over here". In lieu of further headaches trying to research the cause, I'm calling it a win that I figured out some way to stay logged in.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
turtletary
Mine must have gremlins.. or something.........

I've tried everything.. [ except firefox.. because the last time it was my default I managed to 'delete' ALL pictures on the classifieds.. trying to find how to post pics on each ad. header - I've figured that one out finally ].. and still have to LOGIN whenever I leave the site and come back - on some things!!! I've tried to fool the LOGIN system.. made FAUNA secure.. nothing in my cookie jar...... what next???

It says 'You must not be.... ' etc. and I can post an ad. anyway.

Who out there is smarter than me.. or should I say.. anyone dumber than me?

Clueless

NOW I CAN'T "POST" WITHOUT DOING THE LOGIN!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Southern Wolf
Where you log in... there should be a little box that says something along the lines of 'remember me' or 'stay logged in' or something like that. Make sure it is checked before you click the login button.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #10
turtletary
Requested NEW password

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Where you log in... there should be a little box that says something along the lines of 'remember me' or 'stay logged in' or something like that. Make sure it is checked before you click the login button.
Gave it a try.. even made the old "password change" request.. entered new password.. checked REMBER.. got logged in! Left.. checked for email and clicked the short-cut link................... "Hello, Either you aren't....... "

Clueless

I'll try saving the page/link in my Favorites.. see if that could be it..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!