kingsnake.com Bad Business practices. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
sixgunsun1177
kingsnake.com Bad Business practices.

I'm sure some of you have Ks.com accounts and have been bombarded with emails notifying that you can't post using a business name till you verify your business through Kingsnake's verification process.
They state this is to protect customers. That's all good an fine and online herp customers deserve protection.

For those of you who haven't been lucky enough to receive these emails, the above explains the situation pretty well. I'm ok with ALL of the above.
But Today I get a message notifying me that I can no longer use my website name or logo in my ads. My website and logo are my virtual property and they shouldn't dictate whether I can refer to my website, my logo or not.

That was my last straw from Kingsnake, and I'll not be using them once my current paid account expires.
I would like to see other concerned folks email Ks.com and let them know how you feel about this. Their address to discuss this topic is
accountreview@pethobbyist.com
Here's the sentence pragmens they emailed to notify me.
"Cannot list a business name without the name being verified as a legally registered business. This includes in the body of the ad and the logo at the end:"

I may be over-reacting but I am (was) their loyal customer and I have this great forum to voice my opions on my dealings in the reptile world.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
KelliH
I actually think this is a good thing and it does protect the consumer. I was glad when it was implemented. I believe there are legal reasons behind the change over at kingsnake as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #3
hhmoore
KS's position is a relatively simple one: if you aren't a business, stop trying to pretend that you are. By making a policy of that nature, what they are saying is that non-business entities must use their names to identify themselves, and cannot promote themselves as something they are not. If your web address is not your name, it is in violation of their policy - simple enough. Paying domain fees, and starting a website does not make somebody (anybody) a business, and given the proliferation of hobbiest "businesses" over the past several years, I, for one, think KS is to be commended for their decision.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
homegrownherps
I recently had to do the same thing, and I also think it is a good idea, but what about the people who register using an individual name? What is K-snake doing to make sure they are all legit?
Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything in their TOS for those sellers.
Those are the ones more likely to rip you off, since it would be easy to set up an account using a made up identity, rip some one off and just dissapear only to return under another false identity and do it again.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
kmurphy
Quote:
I actually think this is a good thing and it does protect the consumer. I was glad when it was implemented. I believe there are legal reasons behind the change over at kingsnake as well.
Not arguing Kelli, but how does this protect the customer? I can't see the difference between purchasing from a business, whether it comes up to Kingsnake's standards or not, or an individual. It is still buyer beware no matter who you purchase from
Not sure about the legal reasons but it would seem to me that buy certifying some business as "legit" and others as not, Kingsnake is increasing their liability not diminishing it. If they just stayed out of it then they could include a disclaimer to the affect that they do not research any of the sellers etc. As it is now, if there is a business advertising on kingsnake then they(Kingsnake) are standing behind it in some fashion.
Does anyone know what constitutes a business ala Kingsnake's definition?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
hhmoore
I don't think it so much "protects" the consumer as it makes them aware of who they are buying from. This isn't an endorsement process, by any means. All they are saying is that in order for someone to claim they are a business (use a business name, website, logo, etc), that person must provide verification. If that person cannot, or will not, do that, then that person has to advertise using their name.

What constitutes a business, according to KS's terms at present is that the entity has AT THE MINIMUM file DBA (doing business as) paperwork in their state. No requirements about incorporation, LLC, etc. The paperwork, and the fee (at least here)is minimal. I suspect that the reason that most hobbiest "businesses" don't want to take that step is that it makes them a known entity and, therefore ,subject to taxation.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Kingetula
Are you verified with KS.com and they are still saying you can't use your logo etc... It sounds like you are not verified.

Get verified and all will be good IMO.

If you are verified and you can't use your logo etc than I understand why you would be pissed.

Fraud is crazy these days. I support KS.com on this, you never know who is legit so protect the customers first. If a business has issues with it then I wonder about the business...

I have read posts where so and so had this snake and was paid hundreds for it and the guy just disappeared. PROTECT THE CUSTOMER SHOULD BE PRIORITY #1! If word gets out KS has a bunch of frauds ripping people off it will hurt KS.com in the long run. If KS.com protects the customers, I would feel a little better doing business there.

Don't you want your customers knowing you are verified with KS.com?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #8
garweft
Quote:
By law to advertise commercial goods or services using any name other than your own as an individual, you must register that name using any one of a number of government mandated registration methods. Most commonly this is done by filing an Assumed Name Certificate or a Doing Business As registration, usually through your County registrar's office. Other methods include registering a Trademark, or filing Letters of Incorporation as a corporation or as an LLC. Any one of these registration instruments will give you the legal authority to operate a business under an assumed, or business name and do things such as accept money, open a business checking account, or market your products or services. These documents are required by law to provide links between the assumed name and the business owners for matters of taxation and legal liability.

Often, especially online, people will operate using a business name that has not been legally registered leaving virtually no traceable information in case of problems and issues or fraud and theft. Fraud artists will often hide behind these unregistered business names and change them once they have been uncovered or will operate under multiple unregistered businesses at once.

As a business concerned with fraud and theft issues in our classifieds, we have decided to implement a registered business program so that you can be assured when dealing with people advertising as businesses on our site, that they have at least legally registered as a business in their jurisdiction. At first, registration in this system will be voluntary, but on May 1, 2007 this system will become mandatory for everyone wishing to advertise using a business name on our systems, classifieds, and otherwise. Once it has become mandatory it will be required at the time of classified account registration prior to posting advertisements. This does not mean that it is ok to violate the law and continue to operate a legally unregistered business name on our site til then, this just means you don't have to register with our web site until the mandatory date.
http://www.pethobbyist.com/verify.html

Old 06-27-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy
Not arguing Kelli, but how does this protect the customer? I can't see the difference between purchasing from a business, whether it comes up to Kingsnake's standards or not, or an individual. It is still buyer beware no matter who you purchase from
Not sure about the legal reasons but it would seem to me that buy certifying some business as "legit" and others as not, Kingsnake is increasing their liability not diminishing it. If they just stayed out of it then they could include a disclaimer to the affect that they do not research any of the sellers etc. As it is now, if there is a business advertising on kingsnake then they(Kingsnake) are standing behind it in some fashion.
Does anyone know what constitutes a business ala Kingsnake's definition?
The business name needs to have been registered with the state the individual does business in as a legal fictitious name. It does actually protect the customer quite well as it leaves a paper trail back to the individual if there is a problem. It also prevents a scammer from simply closing up shop and reappearing tomorrow under a different business name. Upstate Exotics and many others used this ploy to their advantage several times.

As to verifying individuals, I am sure that is more difficult. Personally, I would love to see them require a faxed copy of a valid drivers license in the name the account is being taken out in but I doubt that would ever happen due to identity theft liability issues.

Bottom line to the original poster. Register the name and verify it with Kingsnale or start posting ads under your own John Hancock

Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by garweft

Good post.

I agree with the above poster about taxation as well.

CLAP CLAP to KS.com It may not protect us 100% but at least it helps weed out the fakes. If I buy something I want to know I can find and call them 24 hours later!!!

I think if someone has issues with this new policy it's because they have something to hide. (From a customer or the government)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!