FREE spider ball python - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Adoptions

Notices

Adoptions This section is for people OFFERING animals for adoption. NOT solicitations asking for free animals.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:39 AM   #21
Elizabeth Minton
ok follow this.
1. soak rag in warm salt water.. do not wring out.
2. pat on vent area. this kills bacteria. rinse with cold water
3. wear gloves and put neosporen on your finger.
4. be very gentle and try to push the colon back up inside the vent. this will help the snake pull it back into place.
5. keep the snake warm well fed and hydrated.
6. keep eye on condition and visit a vet if it prolapses in the mean time. if so it may need to be stitched to the inside wall.

its a simple procedure. low cost, research it on google

Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #22
Shadera
I'd still go with a vet's appraisal. For what it's worth, I became a licensed tech about 15 years ago. I don't use it professionally, but it has helped in personal endeavors, rescues and such. I think that may have started as a prolapse, but has turned into something more serious that sugar water isn't going to help. I certainly wouldn't go digging around in there if I didn't know what I was doing either. There are several sensitive structures inside the vent, and you could do more harm than good by trying to jam dirty, abraded tissue back up in there.

My offer of the donation stands. But only directly to the rescue's vet and after speaking with them.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #23
WindsweptReptiles
I'd have to agree, since there's something going on past the vent in the tail section. Possibly an infection or something? And if the organ tissue has remained outside of the snake on dry bedding for so long, I dunno if you could push that pack in.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:50 AM   #24
omgitskacie12
it was kept on bird seed for 2 months at the pet store and idk what it was on before that. i have cleaned it and i think it is infected.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #25
Elizabeth Minton
the sugar water stimulates muscle retraction causing the snake to pull it back in. this is only until he gets a certified vets help. i am not certified but i am letting him know what i have been learning and what helped my normal when he prolapsed a few months back. he did not require vet care but he was healthier. this one obviously need to see a vet but in the mean time it cant hurt to try something given by a herp/small animal vet in training who has had a personal experiance. just giving my knowledge... not a crime to try to help. but yes get vet help along with my advise. it will probable need a cople secureing stitches

Old 07-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #26
omgitskacie12
and im still looking at rescues and a i have had a few people contact me about the snake

Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #27
Elizabeth Minton
USE THE NEOSPOREN.dont push it back in if you think its infected just keep it clean and put neosporen on morning and night. twice daily. seek certified vet care too

Old 07-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #28
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Minton View Post
the sugar water stimulates muscle retraction causing the snake to pull it back in.
No, it doesn't. It brings down the swelling in the tissues making them able to be retracted. IF it's not a granulated, nasty mess like those pictures show.

It isn't a crime to want to help. Not at all. I wish more people would help, the world would be a better place. But you shouldn't be giving advice that could potentially cause more harm.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #29
Elizabeth Minton
ok im stupid sorry for my idea i know that stuff, thats why im in vet school and had my own personal experiance. ill shut up. we'll see if im nice enough to help anyone again. all people do is act like im stupid and treat me like shit.. GOOD LUCK with you snake i truely hope it gets better and i hope you get to keep it. best wishes to you from me

Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #30
WindsweptReptiles
We understand you're trying to help, and that's a good thing! But your snake had immediate assistance pushing back in an organ before the tissue was hurt too badly, whereas this snake has gone for two months with exposed tissue. It's just that it's likely now dried and/or a permanently damaged mess, and trying to push that back in would do more harm than good. Yeah?

Nobody is 'treating you like shit', they're stepping in with more knowledge on a serious matter of this animal's life, which is in dire straits.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!