Inquiry - Jeff Schofield? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #1
Brad Alexander
Inquiry - Jeff Schofield?

Anyone know this guy? I have an interest in thayeri and he is trying to sell some. He was very pushy with me, trying to get me to buy them sight unseen. I didn't appreciate his abrasive selling tactics, so, I called him a scam and told him I had no interest in purchasing any animals sight unseen. He became overwhelmingly deffensive, belittled me on several levels, of which, his favorite seems to be that "I am a no name punk". According to him, a person should just trust his word and buy snakes from him sight unseen because he has a very good reputation. And besides that, they are super nice animals, no tipping or anything. Of course, these are his claims and cannot be validated. For all I know, he may have some truly nice thayeri for sale???

Thanks,

Brad Alexander

Old 10-29-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
cka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Alexander
According to him, a person should just trust his word and buy snakes from him sight unseen because he has a very good reputation.
Uhh yeah...Those in the community with a "very good reputation" generally take pride in what they keep, breed and sell and have plenty of pics to show their animals off.

If you aren't worth the five minutes or so to take a few pics of animals for sale, why should the seller be worth the 30 seconds it take to paypal him your hard earned cash?

PM'ed you VIVID's website. They reank right up there at the top when it comes to Thayeri. Good luck :*)

Old 10-29-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
reptilebreeder
I've heard the name somewhere, but where or why the name seems familiar I do not know. At any rate, by sight unseen do you mean not even some good photos? Because if so that would be ridiculous, there's a reason they are AKA variables, hello. I wouldn't buy any sight unseen either. Sounds like someone with an attitude, who I don't think I'd deal with, even if he is "famous". Welcome to Fauna and the BOI. How goes things in the desert?

Old 10-29-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
Brad Alexander
Yeah, my point exactly and that's why I didn't trust him, made the assumption and told him so.

Desert? Well, I guess I am a little closer to the desert than you are. Everything is going well. I might head into the field tomarrow to see if any zonata visible. Of course, those are in the mountains though LOL.

Thanks for the reply guys,

Brad

Old 10-29-2005, 06:20 AM   #5
David Scarboro
Wink Not With A 10 Foot Pole!!!!

I wouldn't touch him. There are a couple of threads on here (one of which I started) about Schofield, the self described "consummate biologist) He missrepresents his animals badly. He will send you a pic of one snake, and then send you another. He can't properly ID his snakes. If you dare complain, he goes off on you, and tells you that you don't know anything. He traded me some wc junk for nice animals. If you watch his ads, ( as I have) he is constantly going out of business because he is either leaving the country, or moving. Then the next month, he is back with a whole new lineup of animal lines he personally developed.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
David Scarboro
This Particular Ad...

Copied and Pasted below, has been running on ks for at least 3 months. This guy is great at finding new species! Too bad no one ever hears of them...

NEW PICS TAKEN TODAYI have been lucky enough to be the only one to find this isolated population and have been working for 10 years to establish it in captivity.They are a variant of the Eastern Milk but with such isolation they are very different.They are to Eastern milks what Outer Banks kings are to Eastern kings..Like many island situations,these milks have developed into 4'+MONSTERS and are the apex predator on this island(the locale will not be published due to population size a fragility).I have found several specimens over the years which are likely considered morphs(Anery,GREEN,etc)--but like many wc milks they can be difficult to establish by even the most experienced keeper.NOT FOR BEGINNERS.I have produced cb babies for the 2nd year in a row and even the babies are different....hatching out HUGE,the size of baby kings!!They only feed during a small window out of brumation and are off feed now,ready to go down.I am offering only 1 pr that include a 4'(!!)male and a cb05 female.Note that the pic of the anery and green arent for sale only the BIG one in my hand.For scale,I am 6'3"with big hands and that is 1 snake in my hand.I have had interest so I know these wont last.Be the first to get these rare snakes before the DNA tests come back...maybe they even become a new ssp...$500/male or $750/pr.PICS finally available by email only for all of you that have inquired,thanks for being patient.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:23 PM   #7
herp4fun
Thumbs down thumbs down

I too have inquired about animals he has had up f/s and he was way to pushy,and could never provide pix. He's always to busy going to holland or somewhere so he says. I've seen him around for sometime. His ads are fishy,and talking to him seem funny to me too. There are many ppl out there with very nice thayeri,I could point you in the right direction if you are really wanting one. JMO but he does not seem to be trustworthy to me. He talks about reputation all I've heard about his was shady.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
reptilebreeder
I'm not a Real biologist, but I play one in the field. . Seriously though, it's great to be credentialed(?) in the field you love, but doesn't call for, what seems to be a pattern of arrogance.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:42 PM   #9
SnakesUnlimited
Bad Guy for sure

"Seriously though, it's great to be credentialed(?) in the field you love, but doesn't call for, what seems to be a pattern of arrogance."

As far as I have heard from about 8 different people he is not a biologist. I have asked about him a few times as he has either had interest in animals I have had or I had interest in his. I had the displeasure of buying from him this spring and have regretted it ever since.

I purchased a "Breeding Pair" of honduran milks from him that where nowhere near breeding size and where shipped in horrible conditions. Both milks where right at 30" and skinny when I got them. The male albino that I purchased now resides in my freezer. When he shipped them it was in March or April and he included no heat pack. Daytime high for New England (where he is) and for Chicago (me) where in the 50's and the lows at night
near freezing. The box had no insulation and the inside was newspaper. One of the two bags had a hole in it and the albino male was out in the box. The hole was a old one and when i brought this up to him he said hey things happen. I agree and this happened with another guy this year as well but that box was insulated heated and the tear in the bag was a fresh one that seemed to have happened when knotting. The other guy apologized and didn't tell me how ignorant I was. Jeff instead told me i was stupid for expecting a heat pack and was curious why I was upset at all.

Oh another thing he shipped the box next day by end of day instead of morning. Why to save a couple bucks??? All in all he is someone to be avoided. To put this in perspective I have had other "bad deals" but this is the first that I have posted on. I don't normally run to the BOI because for the most part all of my bad deals in the past have worked themselves out. With Jeff I don't have that faith in him. There is more to this but who needs more details??

Later Jason

Old 10-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
SnakesUnlimited
Sorry forgot the last name thing. See i really don't post bad guy threads. LOl

Jason Hood

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!