not eating- - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 02:30 AM   #11
Pink Lady Exotics
It depends on what your substrate is. The only real ones to worry about ingesting are cypress mulch or large bark pieces. A little bit of aspen or shredded coconut husk isn't going to hurt the snake. And if you thaw the rodent in a bag and prevent it from getting wet, then the substrate won't stick to it.

The whole live vs. dead prey debate is old and worthless. Many breeders/keepers feed frozen, and many breeders/keepers feed live -- and have never once had a problem. Not to say it can't happen, but the odds seem pretty slim (unless it's one of those idiots that leaves a live rat in with a snake overnight or for a week). Also, there is absolutely no reason to feed medium to large rats that can inflict that kind of damage. I don't care if it's a 3000g female -- if being fed live food, I'd never go larger than a small rat. I personally use only weaned rats -- they are extremely dumb and naive and never struggle or bite back. If they ever tried, they aren't strong enough to cause damage. I just feed more of them per snake to equal what they need. Watch to make sure the prey gets killed efficiently -- if the snake doesn't grab the prey item within 5-10 minutes, it isn't hungry -- so take it out. It's common sense. Feed what your snake will readily take and what is easiest for you. If that's frozen, great. If that's live, great. Either one is PERFECTLY FINE.

It's unnecessary to feed in a separate enclosure...the myth revolves around them associating the cage with feeding and being aggressive while inside it. This is entirely inaccurate. If it were true, wouldn't it also stand to say that if you feed outside the enclosure that the snake will associate being taken out of his home with feeding and therefore become aggressive when not in his cage? All a bunch of hooey. I feed all of my snakes in the tubs that they live in and none of them react with a feeding response when I pull them out unless they physically smell a rat. Snakes have individual personalities just like people -- some will be docile, some will be feisty. I have a mix of both. It has nothing to do with feeding or cage aggression -- it's just their personalities.

Here's a page I made on feeding issues -- there may be some things in here to help you.

http://www.pinkladyconstrictors.com/feeding.html

Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #12
geckogrl6
Great info, thanks! I'm going to leave a warmed f/t in there tonight, and see what happens. Incidentally, Jen you touched on my next question, but as it's wholly unrelated, more of a musing than a problem with my animal, I am making a seperate post. And no, I don't have any signs to think my boa may be carrying IBD, other than the posts in that forum which I've been following. Both snakes are relatively new to my collection, and so I'm following hand washing and other quarantine measures. That being said, I'm new to both boas and balls. I've kept corns before, and of course lots of leos, but finally was able to step up to the next level of snake handling. Though I learned that I'm not yet ready for a carpet lol. Is there anything else I should be doing for quarantine?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #13
geckogrl6
Sorry, she is on a cocnut and bark mix, with some pieces about 1 inch.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
Cat_72
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
Both snakes are relatively new to my collection, and so I'm following hand washing and other quarantine measures. That being said, I'm new to both boas and balls. I've kept corns before, and of course lots of leos, but finally was able to step up to the next level of snake handling. Though I learned that I'm not yet ready for a carpet lol. Is there anything else I should be doing for quarantine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
Also, I'm using the same tank to feed both my snakes- do I need to worry about IBD or perhaps the smell from my male boa is intimidating her from eating?
Lisa, if you've been feeding them both in the same tank, there is no quarantine in place. You could be washing your hands all day long, but by putting them in the same tank to feed.......it's all gone.

As far as making sure she doesn't swallow any substrate, you can place the prey item on a deli cup lid, or a piece of newspaper. I prefer keeping any of mine that are in "display" type cages on shredded aspen, and the animals in racks are on newspaper, to keep any risk from substrate ingestion at a minimum.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
reddog4063
If you are moving the BP to another tank to feed that means you have an extra tank laying around. Why not use it to keep your boa and bp separate instead?

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #16
geckogrl6
Sorry- let me clarify the feeding situation. I am using an empty styrofoam cooler type box for feeding both snakes. Each one individually is taken out of their enclosure, and put in the box, and then the prey put in there as well. The 2 are never in physical contact, but I may put the ball in there on Wed. to feed (for example), for about 20 minutes or so, put her back in her tank, and the next day put the boa in there to feed seperately for his 20 minutes or so.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 AM   #17
Cat_72
It doesn't matter if the snakes are coming into direct contact with each other or not. Small amounts of saliva, fecal matter...even amounts obviously too small to be seen....left behind in the box COULD very well harbor any number of pathogens, not only IBD.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
BalloonzForU
Cat is 110% right on this. Even if you were to clean the Styrofoam cooler you aren't going to get it 100% clean as you could if it were a glass tank or a tub. There are way too many holes and crevices for all the bad stuff to get into the Styrofoam. If you're insisting on taking them both out of their inclosures to feed, go to Target and buy two tubs to feed them in. Make sure you mark who's is who's.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
geckogrl6
Thanks for all the info. My intention is to start using a glass tank as soon as one is free. She did not take the f/t left in there last night, though she hasn't left it's side either. She's obviously hungry. I may just buckle and give her a live one. Sigh!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!