boa plug not breeding question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
tstafford
boa plug not breeding question

Hi, I was hoping somebody would be able to help me. I have a female hypo ready to breed and just bought a male stripe a week ago. The female went into shed within a couple days of getting the male. The male is producing sperm plugs( atleast I think -looks like nut to me) but he hasn't shown an interest in her. any info would be appreciated. Don't know if somethin is wrong or I'm just impatient or he's not ready or what. Thanks for your help

Old 01-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
First off, if you just got the male... I think he needs time to settle down into his new enclosure by himself for awhile. Not to mention you should be careful when introducing new animals, to an established collection immediately after getting them without quarantine.

he could be stressed out.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
tstafford
yeah that was one of my thoughts. I think I just got a little overzealous. He did end up givin my female mites I really should have took a closer look when I bought him. and I definetly should have quarentined him. but now the mites are gone but him and my female are under close watch. The treatment for mites probaly didn't help him relaxe either. Thanks for the info. I have to say from now on always quarentine and give him some time to settle in. I feel like a beginner again. Thanks again

Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Boa4u
The female probably wasn't ready yet. I see sperm plugs all the time, with or without lock ups. And yes, you probably are being a little impatient as evidenced by you skipping the quarantine period so as not to miss out on a breeding opportunity.

How did you treat for the mites? You might not be rid of them yet if you did not treat for the eggs. As a precaution, I always treat new additions as if they have mites even if I don't see them.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
This thread disturbs me.

You want my advice? I say you shouldn't be breeding at all if you are so willing to endanger your other animals with a hasty introduction in the hopes of making those babies. And, I think you should separate both animals immediately, and further separate them both from any other animals you have. You already admitted to mites, and mites carry things with them.

I think your actions are quite foolish to be frank with you.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Boa4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
This thread disturbs me.

I think your actions are quite foolish to be frank with you.
I understand your frustration Rick, your advice is great, but let's not be too hard on the guy. We want people to come hear for advice and to learn and to share their experiences so others can learn. Plus we have all made mistakes along the way, the important thing is to learn from them. I have noticed that on that "other" boa forum, people tend to be very critical which to me, discourages dialog because the original poster is then scared to be ridiculed or verbally beaten up. Please lets not become that "other" boa forum.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boa4u View Post
I understand your frustration Rick, your advice is great, but let's not be too hard on the guy. We want people to come hear for advice and to learn and to share their experiences so others can learn. Plus we have all made mistakes along the way, the important thing is to learn from them. I have noticed that on that "other" boa forum, people tend to be very critical which to me, discourages dialog because the original poster is then scared to be ridiculed or verbally beaten up. Please lets not become that "other" boa forum.
You should hear what I hear when Lolo reads a thread like this, LOL. She lost her entire boa collection a few years back from IBD due to cross contamination.

The very first post of this thread makes me cringe. I can understand wanting to get a breeding going but to put your established colony at risk to do so shouldn't be taken lightly. If mites are the least of his worry he'll be lucky. A good number of IBD cases have mites involved somewhere. Not saying he'll end up with it but it is a possibility even if he didn't break q-time. Another issue would be bacterial infections his established animals may never have come in contact with. Getting a new animal with mites ALWAYS had my hair standing on end. Thank God it was a very rare thing to get one.

I myself would like to know if the virus killing off BP colonies will affect Boas since both are boids and I'd bet a $1 it could be passed by mites. These days any break in q-time SHOULD NOT be taken lightly nor encouraged which hasn't been the case here but it does happen behind the scenes.

To the OP....

I never count on a boa to breed successfully if I got them in the year i want to breed them. I've seen them go through the motions but never got a viable litter the first year. Boas seem to handle changes in location differently than BPs. I moved my collection from the house to a dedicated building 150 feet away and totally trashed that breeding season. I didn't get a litter until the following year.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Boa4u
[quote=BryonsBoas;668207]You should hear what I hear when Lolo reads a thread like this, LOL. She lost her entire boa collection a few years back from IBD due to cross contamination.

The very first post of this thread makes me cringe. I can understand wanting to get a breeding going but to put your established colony at risk to do so shouldn't be taken lightly. If mites are the least of his worry he'll be lucky. A good number of IBD cases have mites involved somewhere. Not saying he'll end up with it but it is a possibility even if he didn't break q-time. Another issue would be bacterial infections his established animals may never have come in contact with. Getting a new animal with mites ALWAYS had my hair standing on end. Thank God it was a very rare thing to get one.QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong Bryon, I am not saying that we should not point out someone's mistakes, I just think it should be without saying you are this or you are that. Mites are very serious and a whole lot of us know what happened to Laura's collection and the correlation that many make between mites and IBD, so it needs to be addressed, but there are many ways to deliver a message.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
BryonsBoas
Wasn't taking a shot or anything, LOL. Rick is the way he is and I love the guy for it.

I have an idea of the what the " other " boa forum is and there are reasons I don't go there. I've seen far worse in the way of venting over there.

I have my moments when I take a tough love approach and moments when I think about what I want to say. This morning I'm thinking longer due to a lack of sleep and being too tired for a nice rant or tirade. If it was a local buddy I woulda popped him upside the head and hollered at him for awhile but that takes energy too and I'm in short supply today.

This thread just reminds me that so many come out the gate all about the breeding aspect. In this case the excitement caused a mite outbreak. He was lucky thats all it was and will be luckier if that the worst of it.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Boa4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonsBoas View Post
Wasn't taking a shot or anything, LOL. Rick is the way he is and I love the guy for it.
No worries man. And as far as that Rick guy goes!LOL Seriously though, Rick you always have great information. Bryon and I can appreciate you and your directness, but to others not as familiar with you, you can be scary!! LOL!! You got to break them in slowly man!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!