What's up with the new "Mantis" fad?! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #1
Stephen917
What's up with the new "Mantis" fad?!

Hey, what's up everyone! I'm just trying to understand a bit more on why more and more people nowadays are looking to purchase, looking into owning these Mantises, mantids, Chinese mantodea, whatever you want to call them! Does anybody other than myself find wanting to own these a bit strange and weird? I mean after all, aren't they just praying mantis' with some having a funky side to them? If so, why does it appear that some folks are paying quite a few dollars for some? Not to sound obnoxious, but its almost like someone paying unnecessary money for a black widow while living in the northeast, in the summertime. If anyone wants a mantis, I won't mind making a few bucks, just contact me! I had 2 giants on top of one another on the top of my mailbox a few days ago... I'm sure they're around here somewhere still! Same with walking sticks, it looks like these things would be the most boring things to keep. Am I right or am I wrong, please feel free to sound off! I'm not being rude, I don't like these bugs because I don't know all that much about them to be honest. With that said, please enlighten me and try to change my views! I've been offered these weird Chinese versions by two different friends now, declined both offers, but are they worth it, who has and who actually thinks they are cool, what do they eat as a main staple in their diet? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Durante
I'm a firm believer of "to each there own". I know a few folks think certain species of snake are boring because they lack interest in certain qualities, everything has there own following. Personally I don't know much about about them but can see why you may think they are strange & weird. I would bet that's the reason of interest by many for them. If your truly interested in knowing more about them though you would probably be more successful in the Insects and Arachnids section.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
AGoodwin
Maybe you only think they are boring because you actually have them where you live. Someone like me, who has NEVER seen a mantis or stick bug (other than for sale) would LOVE to keep them. I have actually looked into them before and probably will get some in the future.

I personally don't see why someone would want to keep a cockroach or a centipede as a pet, however many people do and just because I don't personally see the appeal, doesn't mean there isn't any.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
John Apple
mantids are out in the trade...at the last taylor show I purchased two crio mantids and Dave bought a few ghost mantids......they are just another predatory insect [invert] that is making a strong comeback in the trade.....easy turnover and ease of care.......there are other things popping up now like plattymeris and wheel bugs.....not just tarantulas any more

Old 02-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
I think Mantids are really cool, if I ever kept insects that would be the direction I would go (and walking sticks). I'm just sad they don't live every long.

I think they move really neat and are interesting to look at. I remember when I was living in Vegas, every once in a while a small mantid would perch on the trees, I'd spend time just watching them move around.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!