Jamaican Boas Breeding - Page 25 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #241
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillianC View Post
I'm sorry you've had another loss, although as you said it does sound like it was probably a congenital defect. Not sure if it'll cheer you up any, but Harper ate again tonight - seems to be settling in quite well.
That does cheer me up quite a bit. Thanks for the update. I'm very glad to hear he is doing well, as it shows that the stress of the move and new ownership is about the same as a cage cleaning or photoshoot, which is to say, manageable. Please keep up the good work (and the updates, haha).

Old 01-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #242
cguarino30
T3 ate another anole last night.

Night 1- Anole # 1 eaten
Night 2- Anole # 2 eaten, with 2 additional kills
Nights 3-5- Nothing
Night 6- Anole # 3 eaten
Night 7- Nothing
Night 8- Anole #4 eaten

T3 seems to be much better at moderating consumption than T1 (who ate 5 anoles in as many days), though is clearly also eating considerably more and faster than I would normally choose to feed.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 AM   #243
Snakesitter
Sorry to hear about your loss. :-( But 25 of 28 alive is still way better than they would be doing in the wild!

I would note that having to hunt your meal probably justifies a somewhat faster meal pace, due to the extra calories involved in obtaining each meal. But yeah…one every other day, wow!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #244
cguarino30
That's a good point, cliff. I wonder if the pace would be the same if I simply offered f/t every day. I don't intense to test that theory, though. I think there is also a seasonal element to their appetites. The dual nature of their ability to go so long without eating and their ability to pack away so much food in so little time suggests a seasonal growth strategy to me.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #245
cguarino30
Night 9- Anole # 5 eaten

Old 01-10-2015, 03:21 PM   #246
cguarino30
Since I won't be around much next week, and will not be feeding any of these guys, I figured it would make sense to also clean out everybody's tubs thoroughly and take some pictures. I figure they can't hunger strike if I'm not feeding them anyway, right?

Here are some pictures of E1 aka Escapee #1
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #247
cguarino30
E2 aka Escapee #2: E2 seems to have a good bit more black than many of the others, and also has a particularly bad attitude, as can be evidenced by the pictures.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #248
cguarino30
E3 aka Escapee # 3: I have to admit that E3 is probably one of my favorites. Color is great, eats like a champ, and is even one of the more even-tempered babies to boot. It appears that E3 is a little blue and probably getting ready for a shed soon, but was still perfectly willing to calmly climb along the tongs onto my hand for a couple quick photos.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2015, 03:26 PM   #249
cguarino30
E4 also has great color and, like all of the rest of the E group, has a great appetite. However, E4 will not be taking any hand-photos any time soon. This one nearly got me a few times, and is not the least bit shy about letting you know when you're getting too close with the camera.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #250
cguarino30
And here are the other holdbacks. These guys have all been selected by me for health, appetite, color, and disposition. I have noticed that with many other species of snakes, there appears to be a correlation between attitude and appetite, however, with these snakes, I have noticed the opposite. I think that because they tend to be a bit nervous to begin with, the exceptionally nervous, and thus, most aggressive animals, tend to be the most likely to get stressed and go off feed. None of the babies seem to get stressed to the point of refusing to eat entirely, only in terms of skipping a meal or two before going back. However, I have chosen to select mostly the more even-tempered babies as holdbacks (with a couple exceptions) as they are often the easiest to work with and least likely to have stress-related secondary issues.

Anyway, here is Holdback #1 (H1) who didn't even musk me:
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!