Which ball to get? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
All spiders have some amount of wobble, it's inherent to the gene. Some of them have it to a lesser extent, but they all have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy F View Post
Through the years I have had some spiders that did not show any wobble for a couple years, then all of a sudden it appeared.
I have also heard of some starting out with a pronounced wobble as babies and then it going away when they get older.

My spider has a very slight wobble, mostly just a minute shake right before a strike.
Her 4 baby bees showed no wobble when they were born.
When they were about 4 months old some more than others showed wobble when striking.
Now they show only slight signs of wobble and mostly when they are striking.
All four of them are otherwise totally healthy and eat anything I give them, without problems.
They also have no problems shedding.
Their pastel sibling has no wobble.

My spinner showed more wobble as a baby than she does now, although it was never very significant from the start.

on a side note:
When I was getting into balls, I asked Mike Wilbanks about the wobble; he told me that it does not seem to be a big problem and did not seem to effect the snakes much, if at all, at least in his collection. He also said if he was having problems related to the wobble he would not be working with the spider gene.
I guess the point is to get good founder stock if you plan to breed spider balls

Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #12
Randy F
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dunlavy View Post
he told me that it does not seem to be a big problem and did not seem to effect the snakes much, if at all
The bee I had bought years ago that I spoke about, it effected it. A little while after I bought her she would sit upside down and not try to right herself. She could strike and get fingers at ease upside down. As she got older, it was put the food where you think she may strike because it was nowhere near straight. I have seen and heard about spiders corkscrewing so bad that the only thing to do was cull them.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
amozo
Yeah for that reason I will not be getting a bumblebee or spider gene mutation Python. Even though I am not breeding, the wobble seems sad to me. The corkscrewing is what gets me. I hope they are unaffected, but it seems uncomfortable for them to live their lives like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
j_dunlavy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy F View Post
The bee I had bought years ago that I spoke about, it effected it. A little while after I bought her she would sit upside down and not try to right herself. She could strike and get fingers at ease upside down. As she got older, it was put the food where you think she may strike because it was nowhere near straight. I have seen and heard about spiders corkscrewing so bad that the only thing to do was cull them.
I believe it; I have seen some that were pretty bad and severely effected.
I was referring to those that Mike has and his collection exclusively, as per his statement; he may not be having any problems in his collection and his may be relatively unaffected, but the cold hard fact is there are some spiders out there that are really sad cases.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!