Sin - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

Old 05-27-2006, 07:26 AM   #11
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles

Each religion is different and the comparisons of such sins and terms can be too..
What I find particularly interesting in comparative religion is the relative weight of what is considered right and wrong. This lends genuine substance to the eons-long debate of whether morality is subjective or objective.
What do y'all think?

Old 05-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
A_Kendergirl
Would you take the answer that it's subjective and people try to make it objective? So many people like to think they are morally superior because the church says they are (or should be), but when you get down into the dirt and look at how they really live, too many are "Do as I say, not as I do". Few people actually walk the highroad because that's what they naturally prone to do. As with everything else, most people fall into the middle, but there are the extremes of complete lack of morality (psychopaths) and supreme morality (not religious...actual GOOD people because it not a part of them to be otherwise).

Also, nothing wrong with a bit of humor in an otherwise serious topic. Someone please ship me some Blue Bell chocolate...it's the BEST, and sadly not found up North.

Old 05-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Kendergirl
Would you take the answer that it's subjective and people try to make it objective? So many people like to think they are morally superior because the church says they are (or should be), but when you get down into the dirt and look at how they really live, too many are "Do as I say, not as I do". Few people actually walk the highroad because that's what they naturally prone to do. As with everything else, most people fall into the middle, but there are the extremes of complete lack of morality (psychopaths) and supreme morality (not religious...actual GOOD people because it not a part of them to be otherwise).

Also, nothing wrong with a bit of humor in an otherwise serious topic. Someone please ship me some Blue Bell chocolate...it's the BEST, and sadly not found up North.
If you visit Texas we will polish off an entire half gallon together.

As far as the objective v. subjective, I have wrestled with this one for years.
Murder for instance.
I think there are exceptions to the general rule that one should not be allowed to just go out and kill people. Self defense. Defense of country. Defense of family.

But in general one should not, I think, just be able to go out on Saturday night and blow someone away (this applies Sunday through Friday also).
Do I feel that way because I want myself and my family to be safe, or is there a Rule of the Universe somewhere that says murder is wrong?

How do y'all feel? Are there Universal Rules or is all morality just human convention?

Old 05-27-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
A_Kendergirl
Well, in my opinion, it's just a human convention. If you happen to come upon that psychopath I mentioned, and he (or she) feels like killing you for your Blue Bell ice cream, I say take them out! Defending yourself from attack is a normal responce - attacking because you feel like it isn't. Most animals (thus not subjected to our rules) don't kill for pleasure, they kill to survive - there are few exceptions to this.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
ZX11
Perhaps generally animal instinct is acceptable, yet we also should be able to know right from wrong, and what is considered too much for a certain given situation.

A former employer always said, "let your conscience be your guide". Some folks lack that aspect, I think.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:44 PM   #16
A_Kendergirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX11
A former employer always said, "let your conscience be your guide". Some folks lack that aspect, I think.
Amen to that!

Old 06-06-2006, 03:48 AM   #17
ladyserpent7
its not just the "7 sins" that are it...we sin every day...due to imperfection..but we are made in gods image..(not meaning physical) so we could display good characteristics..and control our sins in a way...for example...lying..thats a sin...although its natural for us to sin..its a definite possibility to go on w/ life w/ out lying...the more accurate knowledge we have about the bible..and the more we actually use that knowledge in our life..thats what helps us to control our sins...but back to the point..these 7 sins..along w/ the million others..are sins..whether we do it a little or a lot

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!