odd question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
the gecko geek
Question odd question

So, a friend of mine told me that Colombian rainbow boas are produced from a Colombian red tail x Brazilian rainbow. Just wondering if he had his facts straight or if they are just a naturally occurring species? I haven't been able to find much about them. He has a female red tail that's het albino and a Brazilian rainbow male that he wants to put together, but in not sure if its a good idea yet, figured I would put it out here and see what everyone thinks..and if they haven't been crossed before, what would they make? Or is it even possible to cross them?

Any thoughts are appreciated, unless you are going to get mad at me for asking these questions, then just keep it to yourself because I don't wanna hear it!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
RachelsBoa
I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that BRBs can't breed with BCI. I don't remember where I read that, but I'm pretty sure I remember that they're not compatible.

Here are two sites. One says Colombian rainbow boas are native to South American tropical forest regions. The other one says Columbian Rainbow Boas are native to Columbia and the northern regions of South America.

http://www.petsgallery.info/1002/sna...20Rainbow.html
http://www.therainbowboa.co.uk/colum..._caresheet.htm

Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
JCCS
I hope your friend was joking with you. Colombian Rainbow boas, as their name would suggest, are rainbow boas from Colombia. They have nothing to do with Colombian Boa Constrictors other than being a reasonably distant relative, genealogically speaking.

Chris

Old 08-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
the gecko geek
I think he was serious. I was thinking that they were a naturally occurring species and not a hybrid, but I figured I would ask around here to get some input from more experienced people. I guess the only reason it possibly sounds like a hybrid is because of its name. But now I know.

And thanks Rachel for the links!

Old 08-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Utta
Colombian, as with Argentine and a few other besides the Brazilian rainbow boas, are simply rainbow boas from the region in front of their name.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Snakesitter
Colombian Rainbows, as both Chris and Tyler have noted, are naturally occurring...not a weird cross-breed. *If* your friends suggested parents can even breed, I suspect there will be little market for such an oddity.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
Metachrosis
I suggest its proof crack doesnt smoke itself . . . .

Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
the gecko geek
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are trying to say Tommy? I get that crack doesn't smoke itself, but what are you referencing that to?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!