State by State ads - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Dbz4246
Would there be any chance for the search function being able to search members locations within the classifieds? That way if I only want to search, say Florida, I can put that in and all classifieds with a location of Florida would pop up. Just throwing in my 2 cents. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #12
WebSlave
It really wouldn't do much good to try to implement something like that here. You would not believe how much variation people will use in just providing something like their state, much less a city. Some people cannot even spell their own city and/or state correctly. Yeah, this would be a great idea if the ENTRY to the location field in the profiles had been rigidly controlled so that a search algorithm could be easily implemented because of fixed values, but such has not been the case.

If people would put their location info directly within their ad text, you could search that way, but quite honestly, you will just run into the same problem mentioned above.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
hhmoore
What about tags? I know it would only work if the person placing the ad selects the appropriate tag, but isn't this part of why that system is in place?.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Dbz4246
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Yeah, this would be a great idea if the ENTRY to the location field in the profiles had been rigidly controlled so that a search algorithm could be easily implemented because of fixed values, but such has not been the case.
True, and honestly that would take a lot to implement that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
What about tags? I know it would only work if the person placing the ad selects the appropriate tag, but isn't this part of why that system is in place?.
Tags aren't a bad idea, I use them from time to time. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it on the next classified I put up!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
hhmoore
The problem with tags is the same one already identified - consistency (or lack of). If somebody spells out the name, it won't catch anybody using the abbreviation. Unfortunately, the "tag cloud" only shows the 70 most commonly searched tags...I don't know if that is restricted by the nature of the system, but I suspect that most of those were just what was there when it had to get locked down due to abusive tags.

Would it be a major thing to expand the cloud to include states, Rich? Or would that knock out most of the other tags? (Arguably, some of the existing tags could be removed; and contributing members can still create their own)

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #16
WebSlave
Right now there are 3060 tags available. I've already cleaned out a bunch of the most frivolous ones once already. And there are a whole lot more back in there. If that continues, then the best bet might be to just shut down the tag system completely, or leave it up to the mods to put in proper tags for relevant threads. Which, quite honestly, would likely be a far larger burden than any of them would be willing to take on.

The way the tag system is set up right now, any registered member can put an already existing tag on their own thread, but cannot create a new tag. Paying members can create new tags for their own threads as well as utilize ones already existing. No one can put tags on anyone else's threads. This was done this way so that abuse of the tag system can be quickly determined as to who is doing the abusing and dealt with accordingly. Not that I have followed up on that, however.

So as it exists at the moment, paying members can put states within their own classified ads via tags, but non paying members will not be able to till a paying member creates that state tag for them.

Sorry, but at this point I feel that the tag system is already being used in a frivolous manner by some members, so opening it up further for any registered member to create their own tags would only exacerbate the situation.

Seriously, I would think potential buyers and sellers would be mostly interested in specific ITEMS to buy rather than wanting to find everyone local to them and then see what they have to offer. Seems to me that attending local shows would be their best bet if that is the way they insist on finding what they are interested in via a local venue. I don't see this site ever getting big enough where making separate sections locally on a state level will ever prove to be worthwhile concerning the resources it will use up. This industry is just too small for that kind of focus, in my opinion.

Sorry, but without a complete overhaul of this system and/or a time machine, there doesn't appear to be much that can be done about that search issue.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
chosen2030
All I can say is that kingsnake.com recently added the ability to search by State, and I love it. 100% of the time I search by my State first using a secondary keyword search before I expand my search to other States.

I especially find this helpful during the winter months. I live in AZ, so I may buy from a breeder in CA and have it shipped, but I wouldn't risk shipping from a breeder in MA and having the animal freeze to death en route.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!