Karma? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
mydummyacct
Sammy hasn't logged in for nearly 3 yrs.
About the only benefit I can think of is that, without the coins, posts take up a little less space (see - all the extra stuff just adds to the height of the profile area)

Old 05-31-2014, 09:22 AM   #22
Leslie11
thanks

Thanks

Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
MCMB
So to be clear, if you know a bunch of people on this site who are contributing members and are friends with them, you can just leave each other positive feedback on every post and boost up your rating? But if you're a new member with no contacts, people can gang up on one post you make and send your karma into the ground, and there is nothing you can do about it?

Not that my karma is in the ground, but I have one post that was made in (what I considered) a joking manner, not offensive to anyone, and am still receiving negative karma from different members for it. I have also contributed to many posts in what I consider to be a positive manner, but since I lack any connections on this site, have yet to receive positive karma. Not sure how a system makes sense when new members are not able to leave positive karma for one another and only established members can boost each other up.

Can someone please elaborate? And if multiple people are allowed to leave negative karma for the same old post, what is to stop it from (potentially) affecting my account for the rest of its existence? If I can't edit posts or remove them, and people can't take a joke, I am forever to be punished by the fauna elite? I guess I just don't get it.

My biggest concern is, if I don't know people on this site, how am I supposed to go about receiving positive karma? How is this system encouraging new members to participate when ONE post that they make can warrant them countless negative karma responses while MULTIPLE posts they make that are actually being helpful and answering questions are never given karma? Does this seem like encouragement for me to use this site?

At the point where I'm actually sitting and looking at threads and saying "hmm, which one of these would I have a chance of someone giving me positive karma for to make up for these negative ones," rather than respond to posts just to provide input or ask questions, something is wrong.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #24
Helenthereef
Coincidentally I just left you positive karma for a funny post you made, and that seems to have sent you back into green - so it's not that difficult to rectify if you make positive contributions to the forums.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #25
MCMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Coincidentally I just left you positive karma for a funny post you made, and that seems to have sent you back into green - so it's not that difficult to rectify if you make positive contributions to the forums.
I may have had a premature outburst. I think that rat bite is getting to me :O

Thanks for the positive though

Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #26
hhmoore
You are mistaken on several counts.
- One does not need to be a contributing member to give (good) karma - that feature is available to all members. (only contributing members can leave negative karma, though)
- there are multiple factors involved with karma; including length of membership, post count, and the "karma power" of the person giving them karma. I don't have time to look for it, but Nick (polasian) broke it down & explained it all very well. It's in one of the other threads on this subject; and shouldn't be hard for you to find.
- I mean no disrespect, but you may overestimate the value of your posts. I've seen a lot of them, as you've been rather active; but I haven't seen anything that I thought was "especially good". Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying your posts are bad, or without value - but I don't usually go around checking the "especially good post" box unless I feel the post merits that. Some people are more freely giving of karma, though.
- it isn't that easy to get a couple of friends and buddy bump each other's karma...I don't recall the specific limitations in place (and I'm not sure if they're in polasian's post); but there are features designed to prevent, or at least minimize, that sort of activity.
- I saw that you received karma for the post to which I am responding...most likely not because your post offered much of value, but because of the incorrect assumption you stated in the beginning.

Now I'm curious about what you posted that got 2 people (I checked) to give you negative karma. I'm going looking for it....keep your fingers crossed

Old 07-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #27
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB View Post
At the point where I'm actually sitting and looking at threads and saying "hmm, which one of these would I have a chance of someone giving me positive karma for to make up for these negative ones," rather than respond to posts just to provide input or ask questions, something is wrong.
We call that karma-whoring. It's pretty much always plainly obvious who's doing it; and pretty much always considered pretty weak. I've noticed that you seem to be spamming the boards here lately - which I'd assumed was a pretty obvious karma-whoring campaign. Honestly, I can't recall having seen you make any particularly useful or insightful posts. Judging a post's merit is a very subjective thing. I've made (what I consider to be) awesome posts that were completely ignored; conversely, I've thrown out halfhearted, jokey posts that apparently appealed to several people who felt the need to give me some karma. I pretty much just say whatever it is I feel like saying, without thinking too much about how it's going to effect my rating.

While I won't argue against the premise that some people go out of their way to find reasons to give their "friends" karma; who you know doesn't really need to factor into the equation. I'm far from being considered likeable or friendly, but I've gotten a fair amount of karma. The best advice would be to just forget that karma even exists. Say what's on your mind and let the rest work itself out.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #28
MCMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
- I mean no disrespect, but you may overestimate the value of your posts. I've seen a lot of them, as you've been rather active; but I haven't seen anything that I thought was "especially good"
I absolutely agree with you on that account haha. I have been trying to be active because this is a forum that I see with a lot of people who know what they're doing and for the most part are extremely helpful when it comes to herps. My concern is that I make one post that (to me at least) was very obviously a joke, and get negative karma from two separate members telling me how useless of a post it was and how it wasn't helpful at all.

Oh, really? So you think I actually wanted them to call and say that they drink snake blood to get it on a plane? It was a joke. A bad one? Yes. Something to warrant negative karma? I didn't think so.

To me this seemed like a friendly and joking community, so I guess I was frustrated that the one time I try to make a joke, it negatively affects my account. I probably shouldn't have had an outburst, but I imagine you can see my frustration.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #29
hhmoore
I'm guessing it was this one
Quote:
Soooo...you could maybe argue that you like to drink fresh snake blood and don't have a source across seas?
That would be my argument anyway
posted in response to the guy requesting information about how to get his snake(s) to Germany.

Obviously a joke, albeit in poor taste....and I'll agree that the post was of absolutely no value in the thread. Not what I would give you a negative for, at least not most days - but if I was having an intolerant moment, I could see it.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #30
MCMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
We call that karma-whoring. It's pretty much always plainly obvious who's doing it; and pretty much always considered pretty weak. I've noticed that you seem to be spamming the boards here lately - which I'd assumed was a pretty obvious karma-whoring campaign. Honestly, I can't recall having seen you make any particularly useful or insightful posts. Judging a post's merit is a very subjective thing. I've made (what I consider to be) awesome posts that were completely ignored; conversely, I've thrown out halfhearted, jokey posts that apparently appealed to several people who felt the need to give me some karma. I pretty much just say whatever it is I feel like saying, without thinking too much about how it's going to effect my rating.

While I won't argue against the premise that some people go out of their way to find reasons to give their "friends" karma; who you know doesn't really need to factor into the equation. I'm far from being considered likeable or friendly, but I've gotten a fair amount of karma. The best advice would be to just forget that karma even exists. Say what's on your mind and let the rest work itself out.
To be fair, I have only started doing this in the last hour or two because I was very annoyed. Previous to that, I was simply trying to become engaged in this community. I understand where your coming from, but seeing that red mark under your name just irks you a little bit. It did me anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!