One of my tricks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
RichsBallPythons
One of my tricks

Not many know about this that i do, but some do. Figured i would share it to those that would like to try it.

I dont cool my snakes, they stay 80-82 room temp and 88-91 hot sides all year long 24/7.

But The picture shows what i do every other day. Once i separate the males from females, I change the water with ice cold water and add in Ice Cubes. This will give them a cold bowl to wrap for few hours. Works like a Charm :gj::gj:

Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
snakesRkewl
Interesting, I replenish the water bowls with really cold water, essentially the same thing, but I'll have to consider adding ice cubes too.
Perhaps they like their water on the rocks

Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
RichsBallPythons
My females seem to like it. And it does help with follicle growth without the risk of dropping temps too much

Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
radera5
Noooo kidding! Well, I really DO learn something new everyday!

*Walks to the kitchen and grabs all the ice trays...*

Thanks for the tip!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
deobra2869
that is very interesting maybe I will try it this season and see what happens.....I had 3 females that did not take last season so maybe this will help? Thanks for the tip

Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
RichsBallPythons
I did this to 3 females bowls today and their still wrapped around bowl. It drops thier body temp about 10F for few hours. And rises back to room temp slowly.

Works great for me and ill continue to do it as its cheaper than and easier than night drops

Old 11-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
Montoya
That's pretty neat, thanks for sharing.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
holtzinger76
I would be concerned my females might try to climb in the bowl and get a bit to chilled. They all seem to soak a bit for me but I have a couple females that I think have grown gills and this would scare the heck out of me they might wade in. Wouldn't it be the same as when they lay on a hot rock and get burned they just don't realize the temp change fast enough to react? Just curious if it works for you by all means I'm not saying don't do it.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
RichsBallPythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzinger76 View Post
I would be concerned my females might try to climb in the bowl and get a bit to chilled. They all seem to soak a bit for me but I have a couple females that I think have grown gills and this would scare the heck out of me they might wade in. Wouldn't it be the same as when they lay on a hot rock and get burned they just don't realize the temp change fast enough to react? Just curious if it works for you by all means I'm not saying don't do it.
Keep in mind the room is 82f. The water only stays cold for 1-3 hours depending on amount of ice cubes added in. This cold snap will not cause harm to a female who is seeking the cold temps.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
holtzinger76
I understand the room is warm/hot but if a female was to completely immerse herself in that water for 1 hr at 33 to 36 degrees I think that would/could be very bad. I'm not a professional but that is just my opinion and like I said that would scare the crap out of me!

I see you do use a smaller bowl than I and she might not all fit in that but mine can almost swim and they all fit or they get bigger bowls.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!