Allowing scammers and thieves to stay on Fauna! - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #81
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneynboalich View Post
so i can us pissing as much as i want and if its not why did you us pi$$ing
I wasn't able to get online yesterday, due to other responsibilities, but I wanted to take a moment to answer this, since it was about me.
The answer is quite simple. When posting online, I try to be mindful of the breadth of the membership and the varying degrees of tolerances they might have. The fact that I might think nothing of dropping an f-bomb in casual conversation with friends does't mean I would include one in my post ANYWHERE online...and people that have been around for a while can attest to the fact that it is rare for me to curse even in ***HELL***, where it is allowed (heck, it's practically expected there).
So, getting back to your question, I type pi$$ing because I am not inclined to use that word in a general admission online forum. Ultimately, our language reflects who we are, and how we want to be perceived. I know the arguments about "being real", and being the same online as in person; but I look at it differently. By posting online, I am putting myself on display. I choose not to display myself in a negative manner, so I am mindful of my word selection....just as I would be if I was giving a lecture to my peers, or doing a fun presentation to a group of kids. Should I, therefore, choose a different phrase and eliminate the issue? Perhaps....but a pi$$ing contest is a pi$$ing contest - probably the clearest possible term, and there isn't a good, easy substitute.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #82
Digby Rigby
Vootie!

Banning scammers in practice wouldnt do much. The ones who would do the most damage would already have planned ahead and have accounts already, maybe even use them sporadically. Like gun control laws. The people who they are designed to stop dont work because those who are dead set on something will always find a way.

Also while buyers should be informed ignorance is not justification for them to be ripped off. If I leave my keys in the car thats not smart, if someone steals the car he is just as bad as someone who broke in and hot wired it. While ignorance can make it easier to deceive someone it does not mitigate the crime at all.

As a side note Harald, I understand what you mean but if you have to $$ instead of SS it means not entirely comfortable with it. if the word is allowed then let your P flag fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #83
HerpVenue
To the people who say we should ban bad sellers to protect the newbies who do not know to check the BOI....

I banned a bad seller. You are a newbie who bought from the seller at a completely different website. How did I protect you?

To the people saying we should NOT ban bad people. We should keep them here so we can forever chastise them and they can't creat a new account from which to cheat people from.

Think about this. You do not need to be banned in order to creat a new account.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #84
HerpVenue
Rodney, you are suggesting that the site do investigations?
You want the site to verify everyone's identity and verify that they have all the animals they are selling? You want the site to be judge Jury and executioner?

Not a problem.

$75,000 a year with 2 weeks of vacation a year with paid holidays. With 10 days of sick time and insurance for my whole family. I want liability releases from EVERYONE. No one gets to sue me both criminally or civilly <--is civilly a word.

By the way. There are Threads: 160,161, Posts: 1,028,587, Members: 55,381
427 posts in the last 24 hours, 13,777 in the last 30 days.

Oh I am going to need a team. A team of a minimum of 25 people. And if I am going to head this team and take care of scheduling conflicts and other HR issues, I am actually going to have to get a raise.

Wait a second. Do you know how expensive all the aforementioned is going to cost? We are going to have to make some cuts to save money. We need to whittle down the database and the bandwidth usage. We gotta trim the fat to afford all the aforementioned. I guess the first people to get cut will have to be the free members. I guess that would be YOU

Old 11-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #85
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerpVenue View Post
To the people saying we should NOT ban bad people. We should keep them here so we can forever chastise them and they can't creat a new account from which to cheat people from.

Think about this. You do not need to be banned in order to creat a new account.
I don't think anyone said that. I do think that if you banned ten scammers and let another ten stay, you would see more of the banned members return under a new account. To rob and cheat people on the internet leads me to believe two things anyway, 1) the account is probably already fake and 2) the person already doesn't care about their name anyway. I believe you would see more people create new accounts to bypass the ban rather than to find a new route to scam somebody. Come on, how many times have you seen somebody with a handful of bad guy threads still pull sales?

I understand your point though, there are con's on both sides.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #86
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
I don't think anyone said that. I do think that if you banned ten scammers and let another ten stay, you would see more of the banned members return under a new account. To rob and cheat people on the internet leads me to believe two things anyway, 1) the account is probably already fake and 2) the person already doesn't care about their name anyway. I believe you would see more people create new accounts to bypass the ban rather than to find a new route to scam somebody. Come on, how many times have you seen somebody with a handful of bad guy threads still pull sales?

I understand your point though, there are con's on both sides.
Which is exactly why I have it a REQUIREMENT of registration on this site that a member use a REAL full name and a REAL address in their profile info. Yes, people can put false info in there and it will pass during review of new registrations. But if YOU are going to send your hard earned money or your merchandise to someone, and they tell you to send payment or make delivery to a different name and/or different location, I think it would behoove you to consider this as a BIG RED FLAG and act accordingly. And yeah, they will probably come up with all sorts of good sounding reasons for that, but fact of the matter is, someone who will LIE to you will also quite likely STEAL from you. And if they lie once, they will lie twice. If they are not using their TRUE name or their TRUE location here, then quite frankly, they are LYING to everyone who reads that info. YOU need to decide whether or not YOU want to do business with that person based on THAT evidence that we are trying to help provide for you by our registration requirements.

I reject several new registrations out of between 40 to 50 new applications every day for the simple (and often obvious) reason that the registration info is incomplete or appears to be bogus in some way. The moderators here go through GREAT pains trying to match up registrations that get by me with previously banned, or otherwise already registered, members. It often amazes me the evidence they will accumulate to prove their case before banning such bogus registrations. Sherlock Holmes doesn't have ANYTHING over these guys, believe me. Yes, it's a pain in the ass to do, but we feel that it HELPS everyone by being strict in this regard. If everyone feels it is wasted effort, then by all means please let us know and we'll spend our time on other things much more fun to do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!