Blocked glottis on snake -any advice urgently welcome - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:16 PM   #91
hotlips
I'll "second" that! Even where herps are more commonly kept as pets, it's easy for us to feel "isolated", as there is still a great deal of ignorance & basic dislike for these beautiful creatures we care for.
I can still remember when I first got into keeping snakes many years ago & had to take one to the vet: I was shocked to learn that many vets hated, feared & would not treat them for reasons other than their lack of specialty training. Silly me, I thought if you loved animals, you loved them all? But I haven't given up, and neither should anyone else, because over the years it is slowly changing for the better.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 AM   #92
Helenthereef
OK so, fairly good news, I think.

The faecal smears from all snakes came back negative for parasites, including coccidia.

The urates from all snakes all had the same cells in them as seen in Samael's so now the vet thinks this was not coccidia, but may be normally shed dead renal cells. (She could only look at them under normal light, didn't have any specific stains available). So it's unlikely he has coccidia.

The lab tests came back positive for a Staph bacteria that is susceptible to Baytril, so chances are we got the RI, and the "coughing" fit he had after we finished the treatment was just ridding himself of the remaining mucus.

He hasn't had any further RI symptoms since 21 January (7 weeks ago), so I am now daring to hope that part is sorted, and all I have to deal with now is the post anti-biotic anorexia.

So, while he is not out of the woods yet, I think overall this is good news.

Back to eggy goop in tubes, or maybe it's time for the chicken sweetcorn and carrot babyfood!!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #93
hotlips
Hey, that IS good news! Maybe another tube-feed or two & he'll hopefully want to eat on his own again. Hope so! Great update, hang in there!

Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 AM   #94
richardhind1972
That is good news that it’s not the worst case,good luck with the recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #95
Helenthereef
Thanks both, I tube fed him a vitamin and probiotic reinforced beaten egg last night. He's not loving me, but I'm very relieved that we don't have to give him another treatment of more aggressive drugs. He's lost a bit more weight, but now I'm ready to start boosting up his feeds a bit.

Once more, thanks to all for the support and suggestions.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #96
Helenthereef
Happy stool day!

Well, this isn't the type of event I can share with many other people, but I think you guys will understand how happy I was to find a smelly, soft, but decent sized and well-formed stool today!

He's still refusing to eat voluntarily, but I am "egging" him about once every 7 - 10 days, and he is slowly starting to put on weight (only about 20 gms every 2 weeks or so, but heading in the right direction).

He's a little bit more active, still seemingly weak and lethargic in comparison with his "before" personality, but no more breathing difficulty (now clear for 10 weeks). Not sure if it was the respiratory infection or the antibiotics that have kicked him around so hard, but whichever it was, it was a doozy.

Anyway, just wanted to share the good news, and hoping for more in future!

Old 04-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #97
hotlips
Hey, that's great news! I was hoping for a positive update along about now. Keep up the good work, smelly piles of poo and all, LOL! As he feels stronger, hopefully he'll want to eat on his own, too.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #98
bcr229
Great news! Fingers crossed that he's on the mend for you.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 AM   #99
richardhind1972
That’s a nice bit of news congratulations

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 04-03-2018, 11:07 PM   #100
Helenthereef
Thanks all, will update again once he (fingers and toes all crossed) starts to feed voluntarily again. So far I have offered him freshly killed chicks, f/t mice, and his regular chicken wings. He looks slightly interested, but won't take either from me or when left in his tank. Hopefully time will make it happen.

In the meantime tube feeding eggs is messy and a bit stressful, but keeping him alive. I'm still giving the probiotics and vitamin supplements. Might cut out the vitamins soon, as there are quite a lot in eggs already, and I'm nervous about overdosing...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!