First-timer has questions... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Beardiepal
You have done a really great job !!!!! You learned quickly, about the same way I did....in a hurry !!! LOL. Take good care Beth

Old 03-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Big Papa Dilly
UPDATE -- Day 60 / Day 5

So...much has happened here at Big Papa's house since last we spoke. To begin with... Opal laid 20 more eggs on March 5th. I knew that she had become gravid but wasn't sure exactly when, so I was just watching her belly & behavior. When I could feel distinct marble shapes in her belly and she started frantically digging in her cage, I knew it was time. I setup the lay box and within a few hours she had laid 20 more eggs. I waited for her to stop being maternal (although she kept a MIGHTY sharp eye on me while I did my work) and proceeded to dig up the newbies. I shifted the now almost ready-to-hatch eggs to 2 containers (from 4) and used the 2 (now empty) containers to put the new ones in. I know it's not as roomy as before, but it's the best I can manage for now. I candled the 1st clutch a few days ago and was delighted to see moving tails & legs inside every one we examined. I don't want to jinx it, but I think we're still 23 for 23 and 20 for 20. We'll see when they hatch. I swear, it's all I can think about! How do you STAND IT!?!?!

OK, on to practical matters. I'm about to be confronted with 23 (hopefully) little beardies who will ALL expect me to know what the heck I'm doing -- which I obviously do not. I picked up 4 approximately shoebox sized plastic boxes that I was going to keep them in (5 or 6 per box). I figured I'd just used paper towels cut to fit the bottom? What about light/heat? I was debating just taking an old screen cover I had for a 20 gallon and laying it across the tops of all 4, but I'm not sure how tight it would fit. I guess I could lay the light across the top, but I'm not sure if they would/could burn themselves if they were to climb onto the screen and hang upside down (I've seen my kids do weirder things). As always, any advice is appreciated.

Hope you enjoy the pics!!! Still working on the deluxe accomodations, but progress is being made. Look for a future post on that subject.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Big Papa Dilly
Update - Day 77/22

Still no hatchlings. Opal gained all of her weight right back -- I slipped her a few waxworms & butterworms that nobody else got (shhhh!). I'm making some really good progress on the custom (and separate) housing, so they'll only be housed together a little longer. I'm trying to dissuade any amorous actions on Walter's part in the meantime. I'm sure they probably go at it like rabbits while I'm at work, but I'm trying!

The new eggs have grown considerably (all things being relative) in the past few weeks. They're losing the pink quality ang becoming whiter. The shells appear thicker, too, although this may just be due to the white color (or vice-versa).

Until next time...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #14
Gina Gauvin
Stop!

Whoa, baby beardies need to thermoregulate like adults do, so those shoe boxes aren't going to do! Check out your local petshops for 2nd hand ten gal tanks and screen lids. You'll need one for each batch. And I wouldn't candle them anymore because it can cause damage. If they don't go bad within a few weeks they're usually good to go, unless allowed to dry out or overheat, etc.
They can hatch anywhere from 55-70 days but I've heard them hatch at 80. Depends on individual and care. Watch for dimpleing on the eggs bu8t leave them alone. When they stick their head out, they usually sit in the egg and absorb the eggsack. That's important to let them rest and that's their first meal. they could all hatch within a day, but may spread out over the course of a week or two. If it can't get out of the egg on it's own, it's not going to survive.
Once they start hatchening I just check the container once a day, in the morning. I remove just the fully hatched babies into their tank, and put the rest away till the next day. If you disturb them more than that, they come out with eggsacks attached and you'll need to leave them in the incubator an extra day to be absorbed, or risking the eggsack drying out.
Keep the bare necessities in the baby tank. You don't want to give the crickets places to hide. It's important to have the crickets gone before lights out. I use papertowel as the substrate, changing daily. It's important to keep them clean as the mortality rate is highest in the first month. Use either a vine or low rock to bask, and that's it. No waterbowl to drown in.
Mist them well daily till they stop drinking. Sprinkle greens in daily on the floor to teach them they're good. Offer food (greens or 1/4in crickets), on the 2nd day. Don't dump in too many at once because they will be scared of them at first.
They should have a basking light also but no light at night. Just keep in mind they have tiny bodies and will dry out quicker than an adult if they don't drink or eat hydrating foods.
I have a caresheet on; myspace.com/ornatesky

Good luck and congratulations! I have 6wk & 2wk olds as well as another due to hatch. I'm going thru 2000 crix a week
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
Big Papa Dilly
BIG UPDATE!!

First hatchling poked his head out Saturday night. 2 others had busted the shell, but no heads were out. Sunday, the first hatchling was already shooting around the incubator at 100+ mph. Removed him to his new home, a shoebox-sized Sterilite container with the top cut out for light, but with a good 2"+ lip on the edge so they can't hop out. I plan to cut the lid back further and add some screen on top, but I digress... The other two popped their heads out Sunday morning and by Sunday night were also crawling around, shoving their unhatched brethren around. They too, were removed to the nursery. Right now, they've got a paper towel on the floor (damp, but not wet), a ~1/4" (deep) stone dish for finely chopped greens, a rock directly under the light for basking, and a small artificial vine (no leaves) to play on. They seem to enjoy it. One slept on the rick last night, the other two slept on the vine. It was SO CUTE -- they had been hanging out on the vine and as SOON as the light was turned off, they both lowered their little heads down and closed their eyes. Precious!

My wife just texted me at the office to let me know 3 more have busted through, 1 of which has his head out. Looks like things are moving apace...

Also, just as an aside, I've almost got one half of the new tank ready for Walter & Opal (the mom & dad) so they should be separated soon! I'll let y'all know as things progress.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
quasireptile
Holy moley. Looks like everything came out great. Congrats! I've never had eggies so I wouldn't know what to do. Probably feels like human birth. Wow. Again, congrats!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, dragon, gravid, incubator