How often should I use the reptical? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #21
Kloster
Oh yeah! Hah I guess its pretty late at night and I opened it in a tab and forgot it was open til just now.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #22
rosebud945
Yeah, I'm about to head to bed.

Is she 6 inches nose to vent or 6 inches total?

It really depends on the age. They tend to eat more as they grow. This sub adult can eat around 10 medium sized silks in one sitting, or around 15-20 large crix. You should think about getting your baby phoenix worms too, but this guy could eat a whole pot of those in one sitting, so I don't feed him those anymore.

If you decide to raise silks from the egg, be sure to read up on their care first. They are really delicate until they get to around a half to an inch long. You have to mix up silkworm chow, but its not bad. Their enclosure has to be kept clean or they get sick. Raising them is a bit of a pain, but it would save you money.

Well, I will check this thread tomorrow. I hope she eats for you. Keep us posted, and do try to get more crix in front of her at a time. The extra movement might make a difference.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #23
Kloster
6'' total, shes a little baby.

Ill try tossing in 5 crix tomorrow after a nice bath. Let you know what happens.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 AM   #24
Kloster
I think that raising the silkworms sounds easy enough, ill buy a heating pad and a rubbermain tote and order around 200 worm eggs. Seems like all you really have to do is feed them daily which isnt a problem.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
Kloster
Im also thinking that the Phoenix worms from mulberry farms are VERY cheap.
150 worms for $20. How many could she possibly eat? Id say that would last me at least a week no?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #26
Kloster
Eh... not $20 its $5.99 which is waaay better. Alright I clearly need to get some sleep.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
Kloster
So ive been reading about the stress marks and all that.
She usually has them in her enclosure, im guessing that shes either hungry or the temps arent just right.

To make matters worst, most of the crickets escaped last night.
To my horror, I was playing warcraft and all of a sudden I see a cricket jump onto my desk and I flipped out! I found out that there was a hole in the bag where I have them ughhh.

Gave her a bath today, she drank lots of water and at first her belly was completely white but then she started to get a little nervous and started to try to run away then her belly got blacker and blacker and I took that as a "done with the bath, food now!", also she was shedding! The top of her abdomen was covered in dead skin and the bath really helped her, shes really bright now.

Its really funny that once I take her out of her enclosure and pet her head hell marks disappear and shell fall asleep on me, but in her enclosure shes always stressed

Gonna get new thermometer and food after feeding time.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #28
rosebud945
Hon, you can't keep crix in the bag. You have to set them up and feed them or they won't be nutritious for her. You need to set them up in a tank or bin of some kind, and provide them with food and water. There is a jell product that you can get from the pet store that hydrates the crix, and another product called cricket gut load that you feed them. You can buy both of these at your pet store, or you can buy chicken feed crumbles, grains, greens, and some fruit.

I am so sorry that the crix escaped, especially since you have expressed a strong aversion to them! Try putting egg crates on the floor where most of them are. They seem to like to burrow in those.

As for her hating the tank, can you tell me more about your lighting? What brand UVB bulb is that 7? You can see the brand stamped at one end of the bulb. I assume its a florescent tube? What kind of basking bulb are you using? Is it bright or tented? Is it a halogen or a regular household bulb?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #29
Kloster
The only thing that the UVB tube says is Reptile 7% UVB.
The other bulb is a 100 Watt Reptile Basking Spot Lamp by Zoo Med. I had a Zilla 75 Watt heat bulb but it was terrible, not enough juice.

The crickets I just put them in a bag because I wont be keeping them very long, im ordering bunch of phoenix worms and silk worms for my baby tonight! No more crickets again. Ever.

Her stress marks today arent as bad as they were yesterday which leads me to believe that shes just getting used to her new enclosure.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #30
Kloster
Alright so I got a digital thermometer with a probe. I think it works much better.

Ive got a few problems here, first of all the temp in the air by her basking spot is around 105. On the paper towels its 120 and on her rock its up to 125!!

Im not sure what to do here, clearly I need to move the lamp much higher, the max temp should be 110 correct? ill try to get around 105 or so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!