How often should I use the reptical? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #31
rosebud945
Oh boy. Yeah, you can either move the basking lamp or go with a lower wattage. You know you can use a regular bright household bulb.

I know you mentioned gallon size, but what are the dimensions of the tank?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #32
Kloster
I switched the bulb to the 75 Watt and it seems to be doing alright, her rock is around 103-104. Im not sure what the floor would be but im guessing around the 100's.

Is this alright? Should it be higher?
I put a little of banana with her romaine lettuce and collard greens and she still hasnt eaten them

Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #33
Kloster
BTW gallon size is 3' long 2' wide.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #34
Kloster
I know its small but Im running out of money so itll be around 2 more weeks before I can afford a bigger one.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #35
rosebud945
Are you sure its 3 feet by 2 feet? Is it a 40 breeder, 3 feet by 1.5 feet? If so, it should be fine, but that doesn't sound like a 30 gal.

I hope the air temps on the hot side drop to the low 90s upper 80s. Also, double check the cool side temps. With temps as high as they were, I imagine the whole tank was hot and she was cooking!

As for the salad, do you mince it? When you get the phoenix worms, you can put them in the salad, and maybe she will eat some of the salad with the worms.

How is she behaving now that the temps have dropped?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #36
Kloster
I think its 3 x 1.5 feet. I had to use a small ruler so yeah...
The cool side is: ~82*F
Her rock is now between 102-103 degrees which I think is alright.

I noticed that when the temps dropped she went for her greens and nibbled a few. I also noticed that she still HATES waxworms.

Shes still very skiddish when i put my hand in the enclosure though, that will change with time and age correct?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM   #37
rosebud945
Yes, she will get better as she ages and conditions improve. She was just cooking. Try to get that cool side temp down just a bit more. I like to give them a 75-80 degree cool off zone. If you can do that and raise the basking rock surface just a bit, then do raise it by a few degrees. Otherwise those temps are fine. That is a good sized tank if it really is 3x1.5, so you should be able to get a good temp gradient.

Now you won't be getting those worms for a few days. Are you going to get more crix? She really MUST eat, and eat a lot! Ideally, she should be fed a heavy feeder meal 2-3 times a day. She has already gone 3 days without a proper amount of food, but the fact that she drank is good.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #38
Kloster
For those few days I just got 50 crickets and surprisingly when I use dish washing gloves they dont gross me out as much, theyre in a bucket which I covered with plastic and drilled a few airholes in the cover. No substrate for them cause theyre easier to catch this way.

What I do is I grab a paper towel tube, put it in the bucket leave it there for like 30 mins or so then come back grab the tube and shake it inside her tank. Works pretty well so far and she deffinetly gets excited when she sees them.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM   #39
rosebud945
That's perfect! Is she eating them?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #40
Kloster
I found an even better method, this pic explains it better:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...6/DSC02977.jpg

I basically put the crickets in a glass spaghetti sauce jar and theyre not able to come out. Theres 4 left in there and they move so much cause theyre desperate to get out of the jar but they cant! My beardie is standing right in front of them and shes very curious abot it... I hope she gets one and then feels comfortable enough to eat the rest!

She seems sort of interested in them, I hope that shell be brave enough to poke her head in and gorge. If not im still dropping a few around her to keep her busy. Shes eating them.

This is perfect, I could seperate them into multiple jars and have premade snacks for my beardie IF I "train" her to get them from the jar...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!