toe nail loss? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
tasbeardies
toe nail loss?

does anyone know how a bearded dragon loses its toenails?

I currently own one bd and am may be purchasing a mate for her. I came across one possible sale I was interested in; however, he is missing a few toenails.

My question is, well, first how does this happen? is it something I should consider when making a purchase? - is it hereditiary? or is it realted to shedding? roughhousing?

thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
Andy'sReptiles
you must be lost

try the bearded dragon forum

Old 03-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
rosebud945
I understand why you are posting here. You suspect that toenail loss is indicative of poor care and might provide a clue about the seller's trustworthiness? It might be wise to post your question in the bearded dragon forum first, and post an inquiry about the seller here.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
BryonsBoas
Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry. YOUR FULL NAME is required for each message you post.

Must have missed this part at the top of the page.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
WebSlave
I moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
tasbeardies
Thank you. I have also posted in a forum on another site. My appologies, I am a new member.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
rosebud945
Did the seller say how many toenails are missing? Also, I would ask for pics of the beardie and the toes in question. You can probably tell from a good pic whether or not they are infected or inflamed.

It would take trauma or infection to be sure. If the Toenails are simply filed down, then it could be that he is housing his beardies on an abrasive surface that is filing them down. But if they are completely pulled out, then that beardie has either suffered trauma or something is weakening his digits, like MBD, scale rot, etc.

I would ask for some pics of the beardie and of the toes, or forget the sale. Loss of toenails can be a serious concern.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
tasbeardies
Thank you. From the picture of the dragon his toes currently appear fine and healthy. I am guessing some previous trauma, or another item you have mentioned. I am going to go ahead and find another seller to be safe. I do not advocate improper rearing of beardies, if this is the case.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
rosebud945
Yeah, if you are impressed with the beardie otherwise, then it is perfectly reasonable to ask this person how this happened. Its just not a common occurrence. Is the beardie a rescue?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
sizzlindragons
Just wanted to state as a breeder that toe and tail nips can and will happen. It is a common occurrence. Lets face it no one has enough space to house hatchlings individually. Small groups can help keep the number of nips down a lot but dragon babies are frenzy feeders some are worse than others. Sometimes one baby mistakes a toe or a tail for a worm. It can and will happen no matter how close you monitor or how well you care for your babies. It does not take away from the value of the dragon or quality but usually a discount is offered. It will not affect the adult in any way if it had a minor toe or tail nip as a baby.
I had a small adult bite off her own toe by accident. She had a silkworm crawl on her back foot and she grabbed it a little to quick and took her toe off at the same time. I watched it and felt bad for her but not much you can do and it is not a poor reflection of the breeder.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!