Question reguarding Hornworms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #1
ApollosDragons
Question reguarding Hornworms

So I was considering starting to raise hornworms to feed my crew along with the roaches. But there's a few questions on raising them that don't seem to get answered no matter how much research I've tried to do.

Main concern was food, I kinda got the drift that you could feed them fresh greens and veggies. Just avoid tomato plants because of the toxins. So would stuff like Kale, collard greens and bell peppers be ok? Or is the ONLY way to really raise them with the commercial diet?

Also, can the moths be bred in a med/lg tub? Or do they need more flying space?

I guess if no one really knows I'd just have to give it a shot and see how it went. But was hoping someone else at least had thoughts on some of this. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Magic
Rebecka,

I honestly feed mine Repashy's bug burger. It's way better in terms of convenience and doesn't spoil as quickly. I have had great luck with it. They love tobacco leaves of course.

The moths only live for like two days. I don't think they care about flying- so long as they can mate and lay eggs. I raise mine in an old screen reptarium though--so it is bigger than what you're describing. Btw, nothing seems to like to eat the dead hawk moths. Maybe they taste like poo when they're dead? But my big lizards love them when they're alive. Try to feed them off after you've seen them lay/mate.

Hornworms are a constant work pile. They aren't that nice or carefree to raise. You take a vacation and your colony will die, lol, it seems. The worms eat you out of house and home, the moths only live for two days, and then the cycle repeats.

Good luck! I'll try to help if you have any other questions.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
hadenglock
Ive heard from growers of them that repashy bug diet works best, as well as other commercial diets, not saying that fresh veggies wont work as well, but most people who grow and breed them cannot afford to give fresh veggies as it can get expensive.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
tygoreye
From personal experience the yellow hornworm chow works the best, you can order it from Great Lakes Hornworms for a very reasonable price. If you are considering trying to breed them I would highly recommend you use the chow, they will only pupate on certain foods and they will also not eat many greens that you can feed to your reptiles. Tobacco plants are also harmful to your reptiles, just as much as tomato plants. Unlike silkworms they will need to fly, and feed to mate. They can live up to a week after they emerge as a moth. The best set up for them would be a small screen cage that can be easily made with a wood strapping frame, a roll of screen and a staple gun. They need to be able to hover to feed and they feed off sweet nectar, there are recipes that involve using sugars and syrups that you can find online.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeders, hornworm