boas - level of noise at night? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #1
ozone
boas - level of noise at night?

Hi folks,

I am currently in the research phase of purchasing my first boa (a Dumeril). After several months of reading everything I can, there is one (admittedly strange) thing that I am a bit worried about...

the only good place I can keep the boa would be in a cage in my home office. The trouble is, my home office is an adjoining room attached to the master bedroom (like a retreat off of the master). My wife is a light sleeper, so having a nocturnal snake about 30 feet away from the bed (no walls in between) may be an issue. Our room is normally very quiet at night, so the last thing I want is to have to sell the snake because it's keeping her awake.

So, the question is: How active are Dumeril's (or other ground boas) at night, and are they typically making a fair amount of noise as they move around? The likely enclosure (a Showcase brand) will probably have aspen substrate and maybe a log or two to climb on. I plan on starting with a baby and keeping it for it's lifetime.

I realize that many variables are at play (like the snake's size, whether or not fresh kill will need to sit in cage overnight, etc.) and that this is a hard question to answer...but I'm hoping that at least one of you have had a similar experience and can offer some advice.

Thanks for your insight,
-Chris

p.s. my cornsnake is all but silent - granted, he's no boa!

Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
JCCS
I would say that they are not ver noisy but may bump around more than your corn snake on occasion. If it is not in the same room it should in no way wake your wife up with the possibility that on occasion when my large boas are up and wandering at night they will occasionally lose grip of a fixture and make a thud on the cage floor, but that is a very occasional occurence. I don't think you will have a problem.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!