This little Burm.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 AM   #1
Junkyard
This little Burm....

has quite the attitude, as you can see I have to wear gloves with her. She has already left 2 teeth in my thumb! I have been bit before but it hurts when they leave teeth and she is so aggressive she bites anything that moves. She is my first Burm, I have had her for 1 month now, I hold her for about 20 minutes at a time, anywhere from everyday to every other day. She is warm and well fed. The snakes I have had settled down after a week or so, but she refuses to, I am a bit impatient, but the last thing I want is a snake that is 15 feet and hates me. I have a few questions if anyone can help with an answer.

I read that they are aggressive when they are young, but how long should I expect her to be this way?

How big should I expect her to be in one year? Housing is not a problem as building a LARGE cage is easy for me.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Bighaze
Yea some times they can be a bit nippy. most the time it will pass with a few weeks.

Just make sure you don't put her down right after she bites. If you do it will show her if she bites she gets let loose. Just try to be calm when you hold her, and give her time. If she does bite, DON'T jerk back!!!!!!!!thats how the teeth come out and it makes the bite worse.

As for how big she will get in a year. Some grow fast some don't. I have a 1.1 pair, same age, same feeding days. The male is right at 64", the female is only at 52". Now what I find funny about this is the females are supposed to be bigger.

Anyway you should expect anywhere from 4 1/2' to 7' in the first year. Like I said some get bigger some stay smaller.

Hope this helps, I'm no expert, this is just what I have seen with my burms.

Old 08-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Junkyard
Wow that is a lot of snake in one year! I guess I am used to my Boas being only 3-4 feet in one year. I am not a fan of powerfeeding at all, and all my snakes are fed every 5-7 days. I am more interested in health and not size.

I always make sure I put the Burm away while she is happy and comfortable like she is in the picture, I had to hold her for 30 minutes last night before she would settle down, she is definitely a lot of work. She seems to hate my wife, every time my wife moves while sitting next to me or walks by this little Burm jumps out of my hands to bite, I was looking at a Blood Python once at a store and it did that so I just put it back and moved on to a Dumeril's.

Using the gloves has become very helpful, I do not get teeth in me! I use a hook when I take her out so she does not think my fingers are food or a threat. I do have one more question for those who keep/breed Albino Burms:

Will my Burm retain the orange in her, or will she yellow out?

Old 08-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
Bighaze
Belive it or not, I don't powerfeed, I feed once every 7-10 days, thats just how fast burms grow.

And from what I've seen with mine, yes your burm will yellow out too, It just happens as they age.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
Junkyard
That is a bummer, I think her orange is awesome, maybe I will just have to paint the orange in when she ages.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
DragonCharm
I got mine back in the beginning of the year and he was hissy and nippy, calmed right down after a month or so. He is puppydog tame now and about 800-900g after 6 months (he was aquired as a hatchling, not long out of the egg).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!